Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anjib Mulepati <an...@hotmail.com> on 2012/02/17 17:10:13 UTC

Tomcat as Application Server

Hi All,

I was reading an old article
(http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-2008/jw-01-tomcat6.html?page=1) about
Tomcat to find out whether Tomcat can be used as application serve or
not. This article list that Tomcat 6.x support  following features:

·WAR file deployment

·JNDI resources

·JDBC data sources

·JSP support

·Session replication

·Virtual hosting support

·Clustering support

·JMX-based management and monitoring

·Asynchronous HTTP request handling via Comet

·Thread pool sharing

·Non-blocking connectors

·Servlet 2.5 and

·JSP 2.1

Where as lack for following:

·Distributed transactions

·EJBs and

·JMS

For that reason it can't be used as full application server. Is there
any feature I missed in either side.

And main question Is Tomcat application server? If no why?

Thanks

Re: Tomcat as Application Server

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
On 1:59 PM, Anjib Mulepati wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was reading an old article
> (http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-2008/jw-01-tomcat6.html?page=1)
> about Tomcat to find out whether Tomcat can be used as application
> serve or not. This article list that Tomcat 6.x support  following
> features:
>
> ·WAR file deployment
>
> ·JNDI resources
>
> ·JDBC data sources
>
> ·JSP support
>
> ·Session replication
>
> ·Virtual hosting support
>
> ·Clustering support
>
> ·JMX-based management and monitoring
>
> ·Asynchronous HTTP request handling via Comet
>
> ·Thread pool sharing
>
> ·Non-blocking connectors
>
> ·Servlet 2.5 and
>
> ·JSP 2.1
>
> Where as lack for following:
>
> ·Distributed transactions
>
> ·EJBs and
>
> ·JMS
>
> For that reason it can't be used as full application server. Is there
> any feature I missed in either side.
>
> And main question Is Tomcat application server? If no why?
>
> Thanks

Hi, Anjib-

I agree with a previous post, Tomcat is a server which executes
applications with extensive support for web applications.

-Terence Bandoian

RE: Tomcat as Application Server

Posted by Sanjeev Sharma <sa...@buchanan-edwards.com>.
The term "Application Server" predates JEE and EJB.  I would call Tomcat an App server since it "processes server-side business logic" (i.e. you don't need EJBs to process business logic and it's sometimes a bad idea anyway.)

Sanjeev

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 2/17/2012 11:32 AM, Anjib Mulepati wrote:
> So can I say Tomcat is Web Server but doesn't not support as full
> application Server?

It's a LOT more than just a web server, but it doesn't have full EJB
support.  It may well be enough of an application server (in the more
general definition of application) for what you need.

Posted by Anjib Mulepati <an...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 08:10 -0800, Anjib Mulepati wrote:
<snip>

> Where as lack for following:
>
> ·Distributed transactions

You can use a third-party transaction manager like Bitronix or Atomikos
if you need distributed transaction support.

> ·EJBs and
>
> ·JMS

Again, you can use a third-party JMS provider like ActiveMQ if you need
this support.

Dan