Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Bryan Ellis <er...@apache.org> on 2020/08/18 06:38:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] Draft Tags & After Release Cleanup

This discussion is to update our release process, potentially improve community understanding, and as well cleaning up after a successful or failed release.
I want the following rules to be implemented and will start the vote after keeping this discussion open within 24 hours for any modifications, suggestions, feedback, or additions.

    1. Prefix our draft tags with `draft/`

    Currently, all of our draft tags, used for release, do not contain any prefix and shows only a version number.
    It appears this creates confusion within the community. Too many people always ask, "Why is the version not released in npm". I have always noticed these questions only when the draft tag exists.
    I am hoping that this addition to the release process will help reduce some of the confusion.

    2. After a successful or failed vote, remove the `draft/` tag

    IMO, keeping the draft tag is not necessary. It is supposed to be a temporary tag used only during the voting process.
    To reduce the clutter in our GH repos, it would be nice to remove these draft tags.

    If anyone is relying upon a draft tag in a production environment, the usage was their own risk.

Also, with the addition of the two rules above, I will append to the vote as well the cleanup request to remove all current existing draft tags from all of our repos. Only tags that have a `rel` tag will be removed.
For example, if there is a tag `1.0.0` and `rel/1.0.0`, then tag `1.0.0` will be removed.
If there is a tag that doesn’t have a `rel` tag, it will not be deleted and a future email will be created to discuss these unknown tags to figure out what action to be performed.

We had this discussion before but never started a vote thread. I will be creating that thread shortly.

Re: [DISCUSS] Draft Tags & After Release Cleanup

Posted by Bryan Ellis <er...@apache.org>.
> At this point I think almost all clean tags should match accepted rel
> (release) tags.
>
> Any clean tags that are for rejected drafts should definitely be deleted.
>
> Just as a small, personal preference, I would not favor deleting any
> clean tags that already match accepted rel (release) tags.

+1

Understood.

For this vote, existing clean tags will not be removed as part of a cleanup process.

If I come across any tags that does not have a `rel/` tag, I will make a note and potentially open a separate vote for those specifically.

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Ellis <er...@apache.org>.
Hopefully this helps clear up some questions

The Outcome of the Vote
`draft/` tag prefix is for drafts
`rel/` tag prefix is for releases
No more clean tags will be created
[OPTIONAL] Existing clean tags should be removed as they were the OLD draft tags

>> I would favor keeping both `x.x.x` and `rel/x.x.x` tags for the
>> existing releases that were not rejected.

The last item for removing the existing clean tags could be omitted from the request. I was only adding this as an additional proposal to perform the cleanup process that we lacked in the past.

>> Am I right that with this proposal, we would not need to make
>> `rel/x.x.x` tags for accepted releases after this proposal is
>> accepted?

No, we still be making `rel/` tags.
`rel/` tags has and will always be the accepted release tag, unless changed in the future.
We will no longer be making clean tags.

Additional Information

We never used clean tags as an official release.  We have always told users that clean tags “are not official” and to “please wait for the rel/ tags and or NPM package” as those were considered our final and approved releases.

If we want to switch from using the “rel/“ prefix to a clean tag (no prefix) for final releases, that should be a separate discussion and vote.

The goal of this discussion/vote is focused only on:
The draft tag prefixing (To remove confusion)
The process of cleaning up of draft tags after release process (To keep our repo clean of clutter)
Potentially the cleanup of existing drafts (To try and cleanup existing clutter)

Posted by Norman Breau <no...@normanbreau.com>.
+1 on cleaning old draft tags

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Ellis <el...@gmail.com>.
> The name "draft" for tags in the release process is not that clear to me. I suggest "rc" for release candidate. And yes we should clean these tags up.

The naming is not what is important, it is the idea.

Since last time I think this topic died because people couldn’t decide on a naming convention, I am setting a hard rule for this vote so it can process accordingly with no blocks.

During the vote, people can append which tag name they prefer. The tag with most points will be used, the default fallback will be `draft/`, and if no tag is provided during the vote, default will be used.

For example vote scenario:

Vote Scenario 1:
+1 rc
+1 draft