Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2007/04/05 14:21:11 UTC

HttpComponents and the coming end of Jakarta

Mike, Odi, Roland and all

It appears we have some really tough decisions forced upon us. It looks
quite probable that Jakarta Commons will become a TLP in the very near
future, which implies it is just a matter of time the remaining projects
of Jakarta will be forced to choose whether they want to go TLP or to
die. We all know in its present form the project is unlikely to be
viable as a TLP. So, we basically have just a few options, all seem
ugly.

(1) Attempt to go TLP and risk the possibility of never becoming viable
as a TLP.

engineering to hit us.

(3) Seek a new home elsewhere within ASF. Curiously enough our largest
and the most active user base within ASF appears to be the Webservices
TLP, not Jakarta.

(4) Pretend nothing is happening and hope this whole hooplah will fade
away the same way Jakarta Silk did.

(5) Pull the plug. Do something else like raising pigeons or something.

Evil Comrade Oleg

Re: HttpComponents and the coming end of Jakarta

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 09:08 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>
> > (1) Attempt to go TLP and risk the possibility of never becoming viable
> > as a TLP.

> > engineering to hit us.
> >
> > (3) Seek a new home elsewhere within ASF. Curiously enough our largest
> > and the most active user base within ASF appears to be the Webservices
> > TLP, not Jakarta.
> >
> > (4) Pretend nothing is happening and hope this whole hooplah will fade
> > away the same way Jakarta Silk did.
> >
> > (5) Pull the plug. Do something else like raising pigeons or something.
>
> Maybe start some informal talks about 3 while intensely pursuing 4?
> The Synapse folks were seriously considering to roll their own HTTP
> implementation before choosing use, so I feel that webservices might
> be a good home if they are comfortable with it. But every kind of move
> means more work that does not benefit the code base, that's why I
> would try to delay it as long as possible.
>
> cheers,
>   Roland

Roland, Asankha and all,

I think we are in full agreement here. My preference is option 4
followed by option 3. If the decision to disband Jakarta is officially
announced, the very same moment we should consider approaching Synapse
folks with a formal request to sponsor our move to the Web Services TLP.
I would very much rather prefer to spend all this time and efforts
hacking code, though.

Until then, it is all business as usual. I'll start a thread on planning
for ALPHA5 shortly.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
If you guys decide you would like to join the WS community, we'd be
very happy to have you! In fact, I'd even be willing to buy you some
beers if that helps you decide :)

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: HttpComponents and the coming end of Jakarta

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 17:35 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 4/11/07, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > Another alternative that Justin Erenkrantz just suggested (he's in
> > > favour of Http going TLP), is for Serf to join HttpComponents at TLP.
> > > Serf's an external project with 5 committers
> > > (http://code.google.com/p/serf/) that originally came to the ASF in
> > > the failed commons.apache.org and then left again.
> > >

> > This sounds quite interesting and may actually work, at least from the
> > project governance perspective. At the same time C folks and Java folks
> > rarely mix together and rarely make a good team. Anyways, it is an
> > option worth exploring.
>
> There are some definite prior cases where it seems to be working -
> Axis has both Java and C implementations (in both 1 and 2 versions I
> think), and ActiveMQ has Java and C implementations. So that's
> hopeful.
>
> > BTW, what should happen to NoRobots?
>
> Dunno - might just be too simple a piece of code to be worth anything.
>
> Hen

Henri and all

To sum up all ideas expressed so far there appears to be a fairly decent
plan of actions

(1) Just sit tight, keep it cool and wait for the dust to settle
following Commons' move to TLP.
(2) Continue talking to Synapse folks regarding possible move under the
umbrella of the Web Services TLP.
(3) Pursue the idea of HttpComponents TLP as a joint project with Serf.
Ask Synapse folks if any of them would be interested to be on
HttpComponents PMC to help us with the transition.
(4) Keep on hacking code all this time

How does this sound?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 12:57 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 4/11/07, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > So, to me seeking a political refuge in Web Services does
> > look like a much better deal than the suggested alternatives.
>
> Another alternative that Justin Erenkrantz just suggested (he's in
> favour of Http going TLP), is for Serf to join HttpComponents at TLP.
> Serf's an external project with 5 committers
> (http://code.google.com/p/serf/) that originally came to the ASF in
> the failed commons.apache.org and then left again.

This sounds quite interesting and may actually work, at least from the
project governance perspective. At the same time C forks and Java folks

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> [...]
>> On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 11:31 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
>> > Hi Oleg, all,

>> near
>> >
>> > How would that affect Commons HttpClient 3.x? I guess they'll
>> > leave that one in Jakarta, right?

>> or to
>> >
>> > If we're forced out of Jakarta, how would that affect Commons
>> HttpClient?
>> > I guess we'd leave that one in Jakarta to die, right?
>> >
>> > morbid cheers,
>> >   Roland
>> >

>> Hi Roland,
>>
>> I have no idea what these guys are thinking. Anyways, I think we should
>> stick to the original plan: we support Commons HttpClient 3.x line until
>> Jakarta HttpClient (scuzme I meant to say Apache HttpClient) goes RC1,
>> then Commons HttpClient goes into dormancy.
>>
>> We should ask this question to Henri, though
>
> Sobering thread. Social engineering etc.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_%28political_science%29
> makes interesting reading, and reading that there's no way I can argue
> that this is not social engineering. Jakarta has been told for 6 years
> that it must behave as a single PMC, a piece of social engineering
> that does not scope beyond a single community. We were never a single
> community, and so we remain a broken remnant which (imo) should have
> become its own foundation (but hindsight is wonderful).
>
> I don't like such things - broken things that everyone steps around
> and ignores, or complain about in private. I currently can see two
> ways to 'fix' Jakarta. The first is to disband it, the second is to
> force it into one community (merge dev lists, clean up the PMC so it
> reflects the communities who are still left, flatten all components to
> one level).
>
> The latter is a piece of social engineering that would give anyone who
> tries to pull it off a stomach ulcer. The remaining subcommunities in
> Jakarta do not want to be merged into other communities, and thus will
> always vote for the broken system - because to the subcommunities of
> Jakarta it is not a broken system, it is how they want to be.
>
> The former is brutal and simple. Continue the migration out of
> Jakarta, which in my opinion Commons having hung around for so long
> has prevented from reaching its obvious day when the last half dozen
> active committers are having to shoulder an undesirable maintenance
> load.
>
> --
>
> Moving to Web Services seems odd to me, though I guess they're the
> last remaining umbrella out there (XML is at the 'there's no one left
> to turn the light out' stage) so that would be an advantage.
> Personally I don't see why not on the TLP bit. I don't see why there
> would be any social engineering needed in a Commons TLP - but I'm sure
> I'll come up with something.
>
> Why not just move Commons HttpClient into HttpComponents? And then to
> wherever? It stopped being a part of Commons when the mailing lists

Hi Henri,

I did not mean to use the term Social engineering as *derogatory*. It is
perfectly valid and appropriate to try to fix things, especially if they
are perceived as seriously broken, and to try to steer the community in
a particular direction. But as any radical reforms, they usually come at
a cost. I understand some people think of a flatter project hierarchy as
more efficient and better governable. The trouble with HttpClient (and
later with HttpComponents) was about a very simple fact: it was too big
for Commons, but not big enough to stand on its own as a top level
Apache project. This way, being a sub-community within a large community
with similar goals was perfectly adequate for projects like
HttpComponents. Since this is no longer seems possible you are
effectively asking us to choose between an electric chair and a lethal
injection. So, to me seeking a political refuge in Web Services does
look like a much better deal than the suggested alternatives.

I personally just want to be left alone so I could concentrate on what I
came to ASF for: hacking code that other people find useful.
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/scxml/>

Oleg

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

> Moving to Web Services seems odd to me, though I guess they're the
> last remaining umbrella out there (XML is at the 'there's no one left
> to turn the light out' stage) so that would be an advantage.
> Personally I don't see why not on the TLP bit. I don't see why there
> would be any social engineering needed in a Commons TLP - but I'm sure
> I'll come up with something.

Don't forget about db.apache.org...

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: HttpComponents and the coming end of Jakarta

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Henri,

thanks for the explanation.

> Moving to Web Services seems odd to me, though I guess they're the
> last remaining umbrella out there (XML is at the 'there's no one left
> to turn the light out' stage) so that would be an advantage.
> Personally I don't see why not on the TLP bit.

Because Oleg is basically doing all the work on his own. There are
enough PMC around to pass votes, but that's it. If HttpComponents
goes TLP and Oleg has to write board reports in addition to all the
coding, the project will suffer. As it will suffer from writing a
proposal to move, but I guess that can't be helped.
Web Services, or rather Synapse, are the first Apache users of the
4.0 codebase (I am aware of). They are very active, and have an
interest in keeping at least the HttpCore part going.
We don't have any newcomers aspiring to become committers at the
moment. We hope that will change with the new codebase, but there
is no telling how long it will take. Hanging around with an active
user base is our best chance to keep the project going long enough.

> Why not just move Commons HttpClient into HttpComponents?

I expect that to happen.

> And then to wherever?

The 3.x codebase has a bad design. We'd like it to go away and
fade into oblivion when the 4.0 codebase has reached the point
to replace it. That's why I suggested to leave it behind in a
dying Jakarta :-) Of course I was merely being sarcastic. We
know it won't go away for years, and HttpComponents will have
to support the old codebase for a long time to come. Somebody
would veto that kind of trick anyway.

> It stopped being a part of Commons when the mailing lists
> were split (again hindsight).

That was before I got here. And it is the reason why moving
back to Commons is not the first choice.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: HttpComponents and the coming end of Jakarta

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg, all,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 13:48 +0100, sebb wrote:
> Much the same applies to JMeter, except that it would be difficult to
> see it as a Commons component, and I'm not keen on JMeter leaving ASF.
>
> There was a proposal a while back to create a Testing TLP, but I could
> not see the point of moving at the time so I did not try to make that
> happen (but equally did not veto it).
>
> Since JMeter uses Httpclient, and both projects are alive but have few
> developers, maybe there is some way we can help each other out?
>
> Sebastian

Hi Sebastian

I personally see Commons' move to TLP as a rather shortsighted and
awkward ways of forcing POI out of Jakarta and ORO and Regexp into
Commons. It reminds me too much of events I have been firsthand witness
to, and the way short term gains can easily turn into huge long term
losses. But so be it.

I can offer you a helping hand with the JMeter's move out of Jakarta
either to a TLP of its own or to Testing TLP, and probably some hacking
on HTTP related stuff or migration to Maven2. To free up some bandwidth
for this work, though, I think I should finally make good on my promises
and to discontinue any hands-on involvement in development of the
Commons HttpClient 3.x code line (barring fixing critical bugs). This
also means some one else will have to step up to assume the role of the
RM for Commons HttpClient 3.1 henceon.

Oleg

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.