Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de> on 2012/01/06 11:31:05 UTC

/usr/bin/openoffice.org

Hi all,

I just discovered that on a Ubuntu 11.10 (64Bit), which has libreoffice
preinstalled, there is the following link:

/usr/bin/openoffice.org -> libreoffice

Regards,
Andre

Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org

Posted by Michael Stahl <ms...@openoffice.org>.
On 06/01/12 11:54, Andre Fischer wrote:
> Ah, found another one:
>
> Synaptic on Ubuntu 11.10 has a package "openoffice.org" which installs
> LibreOffice.  It is not installed by default (the "libreoffice" package
> is) and also provides the 'explanation'
>
> <quote>
> This is a transitional package, replacing the OpenOffice.org packaging
> with the LibreOffice packaging.
>
> It can be safely removed after an upgrade.
> </quote>
>
> but still, is this OK?

hi Andre,

this is a standard procedure that happens regularly on deb-based
distributions: upstream communities do weird things such as re-brand,
fork, become inactive and resume at a different place with a different
name, etc.;  examples that come to mind include GAIM re-branded to Pidgin,
Debian's Mozilla stuff re-branded IceAnimals, or the git/gnuit conflict.

the approach is that an empty package with the old name which has a
dependency on the real package with the new name is included in the next
release, to ensure a smooth upgrade experience for users (because
otherwise an outdated and unsupported version of the old package would
remain, which is bad from a security point of view).  this "transitional"
package is then usually dropped one release later (though i don't know
what happens exactly on Ubuntu, which supports upgrades between LTS releases).

in this case i guess it's at the discretion of the distributions which of
the 2 successors of the deceased OpenOffice.org they transition to (and
given the lack of a release from Apache OpenOffice it shouldn't surprise
anybody that currently LibreOffice is the more popular transition target).

regards,
 michael

Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/1/6 Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>

> No wonder people are confused about openoffice.org. We have to protect
> the openoffice.org brand.

On openSUSE, LibO came as a "normal" update from the update repo, and
installed on top of the existing (Novell version of) OOo without a
warning...
Not a problem for me (I always installed vanilla OOo by hand) but it was a
big surprise for many people...

Cheers
Ricardo

Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jan 6, 2012, at 4:04 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

> On 1/6/12 12:43 PM, eric b wrote:
>> Hi Jürgen,

>>> it sounds strange and not really ok for me.
>>

>> Same for me.
>>

>>> First they could still support older versions of OOo and second we
>>> would probably like to reserve this package name for an upgrade to AOO
>>> if possible at a later time.
>>>
>>> I hope we can find some support for this later. But using the name and
>>> installing something different is of course confusing and misleading,
>>> isn't it?
>>>

>> I'm complaining about that since several month (e.g. on this list 23
>> november 11h19). Glad to see I'm not the only one now.
>
> I would assume that hey have done it without a hidden agenda and thought it would be ok ;-)
>
> I don't want or better I don't think that it make sense if we make a big issue out of this.
>
> I think we want have a good relation to them and we should potentially send a friendly reminder that we see a problem here.
>
> As a user I would expect that I get the latest OOo 3.3 version. And in the future we would like to use it to get an AOO with some explanation.
>
> Any other opinions?

No wonder people are confused about openoffice.org. We have to protect the openoffice.org brand.

Regards,
Dave

Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
FWIW;

These situations are usually resolved easily by a nice cease
and desist letter from legal@.

The BSD games collection has been a usual target to
many of those. Look what happened to monop, boggle and
tetris:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/games/Makefile

cheers,

Pedro.

Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 17:05 +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> > I think we want have a good relation to them and we should potentially
> > send a friendly reminder that we see a problem here.
> > As a user I would expect that I get the latest OOo 3.3 version. And in
> > the future we would like to use it to get an AOO with some explanation.
>
> Sure. However, Ubuntu and the vast majority of distributions always
> shipped ooo-build calling it OpenOffice.org, and it is reasonable that
> when ooo-build became LibreOffice (thus a fork instead of a patchset)
> they decided to minimize the effect of the name change.
>
> But now it would make sense that the "openoffice"/"openoffice.org"
> namespace is left free for Apache OpenOffice.

Although I understand how that happened, I'm sorry to say that I don't
see how anyone can construe it to be anything more then a case of 'bait
and switch'.

//drew

Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi Jürgen,

Le 6 janv. 12 à 12:18, Jürgen Schmidt a écrit :

> On 1/6/12 11:54 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
>> Ah, found another one:
>>
>> Synaptic on Ubuntu 11.10 has a package "openoffice.org" which
>> installs
>> LibreOffice. It is not installed by default (the "libreoffice"
>> package
>> is) and also provides the 'explanation'
>>
>> <quote>
>> This is a transitional package, replacing the OpenOffice.org
>> packaging
>> with the LibreOffice packaging.
>>
>> It can be safely removed after an upgrade.
>> </quote>
>>
>> but still, is this OK?
>
> it sounds strange and not really ok for me.

Same for me.

> First they could still support older versions of OOo and second we
> would probably like to reserve this package name for an upgrade to
> AOO if possible at a later time.
>
> I hope we can find some support for this later. But using the name
> and installing something different is of course confusing and
> misleading, isn't it?

I'm complaining about that since several month (e.g. on this list 23
november 11h19). Glad to see I'm not the only one now.

Regards,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news

Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 1/6/12 11:54 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
> Ah, found another one:
>
> Synaptic on Ubuntu 11.10 has a package "openoffice.org" which installs
> LibreOffice. It is not installed by default (the "libreoffice" package
> is) and also provides the 'explanation'
>
> <quote>
> This is a transitional package, replacing the OpenOffice.org packaging
> with the LibreOffice packaging.
>
> It can be safely removed after an upgrade.
> </quote>
>
> but still, is this OK?

it sounds strange and not really ok for me. First they could still

Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org

Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
On 06.01.2012 11:54, eric b wrote:
> apt-get install openoffice.org

On Ubuntu 11.10 this will install a lot of libreoffice-* packages.

Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Le 6 janv. 12 à 11:31, Andre Fischer a écrit :

> Hi all,

Hi Andre,

> I just discovered that on a Ubuntu 11.10 (64Bit), which has
> libreoffice preinstalled, there is the following link:
>
> /usr/bin/openoffice.org -> libreoffice

And what returns :

apt-get install openoffice.org

?