Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by James Black <jf...@iparadigms.com> on 2005/03/29 21:02:28 UTC

Problems profiling with Apache::DProf

I'm having trouble with Apache::DProf.  Firstly, there seems to be a
problem with the server_root_relative() method; once that's hacked to
work, the profiler still doesn't return any useful information.  The
most I've been able to get it to do is profile what appears to be the
Apache:: startup information, but not my handler.

Perl 5.8.6, Apache 2.0.53, mod_perl 1.999.21.  The relevant section of
the httpd.conf:

PerlModule Apache2
PerlModule Apache::DB
PerlModule Apache::DProf

<Location /www>
   SetHandler perl-script
   PerlHandler Controller::Dispatcher
</Location>

I've tried loading Apache::DB and Apache::DProf in an init.pl, as well
as in a BEGIN block in my handler module -- the best that I get is a
result that looks like:

Total Elapsed Time = 0.089404 Seconds
   User+System Time = 0.089404 Seconds
Exclusive Times
%Time ExclSec CumulS #Calls sec/call Csec/c  Name
  11.1   0.010  0.010      1   0.0100 0.0100  warnings::BEGIN
  11.1   0.010  0.020      2   0.0050 0.0100  DynaLoader::BEGIN
  11.1   0.010  0.010      7   0.0014 0.0014  File::Path::BEGIN
  11.1   0.010  0.010      6   0.0017 0.0016  Apache::DB::BEGIN
  0.00       - -0.000      1        -      -
Apache::ServerUtil::bootstrap
  0.00       - -0.000      1        -      -
Apache::ServerRec::push_handlers
  0.00       - -0.000      1        -      -  vars::import
  0.00       - -0.000      1        -      -  Config::TIEHASH
  0.00       - -0.000      1        -      -  Config::import
  0.00       - -0.000      1        -      -  APR::Pool::bootstrap
  0.00       - -0.000      1        -      -  DynaLoader::dl_load_flags
  0.00       - -0.000      1        -      -  Apache::DB::bootstrap
  0.00       - -0.000      1        -      -  Exporter::import
  0.00       - -0.000      1        -      -  re::bits
  0.00       - -0.000      1        -      -
File::Basename::fileparse_set_fsty
                                      0.0000  pe

Ideas?  Some Big Thing I'm just totally missing?

TIA,
jfb
--
James Felix Black
Programmer, iParadigms LLC

Re: Problems profiling with Apache::DProf

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:48:31 -0800
James Black <jf...@iparadigms.com> wrote:

> Frank,
>
> We're running Linux, 2.4.mumble, a more or less stock debian.  But I
> seem to have fixed my problem, by adding the module that contains the
> handler to my httpd.conf;  I hadn't realized that I needed to
> explicitly compile my code, that merely mentioning it in the Location
> directive was insufficient.

  Ah yeah that'd do it.  Glad you got it worked out.

 ---------------------------------
   Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org
 ---------------------------------

Re: Problems profiling with Apache::DProf

Posted by James Black <jf...@iparadigms.com>.
Frank,

We're running Linux, 2.4.mumble, a more or less stock debian.  But I
seem to have fixed my problem, by adding the module that contains the
handler to my httpd.conf;  I hadn't realized that I needed to
explicitly compile my code, that merely mentioning it in the Location
directive was insufficient.

Thanks!
jfb

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.

Posted by Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:02:28 -0800
James Black <jf...@iparadigms.com> wrote:

> I'm having trouble with Apache::DProf.  Firstly, there seems to be a
> problem with the server_root_relative() method; once that's hacked to
> work, the profiler still doesn't return any useful information.  The
> most I've been able to get it to do is profile what appears to be the
> Apache:: startup information, but not my handler.

  This is really odd.  What version of Apache::DProf are you using?
  Also what do you mean by "once that's hack to work"? If there is a
  bug in Apache::DProf I'd like to get it fixed and release a new
  version.

   Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org