Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dmitry Beransky <db...@dembel.org> on 2005/09/19 00:36:28 UTC

subversion in a class env.

Hi,

I want to use subversion in a java class i'm about to teach.  Is there a
way to set up permissions in such a way that every student has
access to his/her files only and I have access to everyone's files?

Thanks
D.

Re: subversion in a class env.

Posted by Dmitry Beransky <db...@dembel.org>.
Right now I have svn+ssh set up.  But I can run subversion under Apache as
well if need be.  Basically, I guess, what I'm asking is this:  is having
multiple repositories the only way to put users into sandboxes or is there
a way to restrict a user's access to a particular within a single repository?

Thanks
Dmitry

Re: subversion in a class env.

Posted by Ximon Eighteen <xi...@int.greenpeace.org>.
Dmitry Beransky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use subversion in a java class i'm about to teach.  Is there a
> way to set up permissions in such a way that every student has access to
> his/her files only and I have access to everyone's files?

I can think of three ways off the top of my head.

1. Use svn+ssh, put yourself in a group that has access to the all
repository folders but make each repository for a user owned by just
that user and the group you (but not they) are a member of.

2. Use mod_authz_svn with a block in the config file for each repository
and a user account for each user, then mention you in each repository
block, but individual users only in their own repository block.

3. Use Limit and/or LimitExcept in combination with LDAP auth.

I'd give more detail but it really depends on how you are using/plan to
use Subversion as a server. Does/will your Subversion server be served
by Apache or not?

Ximon