Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christian Peter <cp...@rostock.igd.fhg.de> on 2003/01/30 14:06:12 UTC

WEBDAV: [Fatal Error] :-1:-1: Premature end of file

Hi all,

I have set up Tomcat 4 on my Win2000 workstation (using
jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18).
Using webdav via webfolder seems to work fine with single files, so
does creating folders "manually" in the webfolder. However, when
dragging and dropping a folder with several subfolders and some
files in it I sometimes get the following error message printed on
the Tomcat console:
   [Fatal Error] :-1:-1: Premature end of file.

The folder than is copied incompletely, some files of the subfolders
are missing.
Is that a known behavior, or just a bad configuration of my system?
Does anybody have an idea how I could solve this problem?

As background information, I'm currently working on extracting the
webdav module from Tomcat in order to make some project-specific
changes to it. With this version, this error occurs much more
frequently, which speaks for a configuration thing?

As far as I have traced it, this message is thrown inside the
doPropfind method of the WebdavServlet class, seemingly at
  Document document = documentBuilder.parse
                       (new InputSource(req.getInputStream()));

Anybody an idea?

Christian

Re: WEBDAV: [Fatal Error] :-1:-1: Premature end of file

Posted by Christian Peter <cp...@rostock.igd.fhg.de>.
Hello Remy,

many thanks for your answer. I was looking for Tomcat 4.1.19, but
couldn't find it. The latest build seems to be 4.1.18?

Cheers,

Christian

Posted by Christian Peter <cp...@rostock.igd.fhg.de>.
Hello Remy and all others,

I finally found the 4.1.19 version of Tomcat, and its behavior is
somewhat better:
Using the Tomcat with its build-in webdav allows me now to move and
copy folders and bunches of files, although it still throws this
fatal error message ([Fatal Error] :-1:-1: Premature end of file)
when navigating in those folders.
Using my own webdav running as an ordinary servlet, however, does
create the folders and sub-folders, but doesn't copy the files into
them (a warning window pops up reading something like "Error while
copying one or all of the selected files").
I traced that problem being in the doPut() method. The input stream
actually comes in, but the bind failes.
The actual code snippet of the DefaultServlet class:

   try {
	Resource newResource = new Resource(resourceInputStream);
	// FIXME: Add attributes
	if (exists) {
	    resources.rebind(path, newResource);
	} else {
	    resources.bind(path, newResource);
	}
   } catch(NamingException e) {
	result = false;
   }

Here, newRecource is well created, but resources.bind throws an
exception.

What am I doing wrong?

Christian

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.