Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Tom Lord <lo...@regexps.com> on 2002/10/13 17:37:45 UTC

pre 1.0 issues in the database

I've looked over the issues tagged with release numbers.

Honestly, I think the list could be usefully trimmed by quite a bit.

----------

These seem to me like important, short-term issues (clearly pre 1.0):

894 eol-style problem (effects CRLF)

	I'm guessing this is easy to fix.

911 Build process enhancement

	Trivial task

900 Error message cleanup.

	Low priority but someone did send a patch.

880 Real bug

	Core dump with script.

-----------

These I'm not sure about:

896 output formatting issue(? "filter contents of log messages ...")

	I'm not sure what this is about.

689 Checksum feature

	This does sound like a plausible 1.0 safeguard.

	I would want to be really certain, though, that there
	wasn't a significant probability of corruption that would
	confuse both the server and the client in parallel -- making
	the checksums equal, but of equally bogus data.

	In other words -- if there isn't very high confidence that
	this safeguard addresses the most probably failure modes, then
	it is probably premature.   But if there is very high
	confidence of that...then maybe.

-----------

These are things I wouldn't worry about too much for a 1.0:

851 eol-style problem (mixed line-ending files, svn:eol-style native)

	This looks both hard and relatively unimportant.

761 Usability issue (log message files)

	Not critical to back-end use.   Fixing this certainly won't
	prevent usability complaints about 1.0 :-)

860 Performance (large files commits)

	Not critical to Wiki apps or to many development
	projects.

806 Bug fix clean-up

	But there's a work-around in place and
	discussion of the right solution isn't done.

840 Namespace clean-up

	There will probably be later namespace clean-ups,
	post 1.0.   Putting this off harms nothing.

872 i18n issue (Windows only)

	This stands in the way of only a small number of possible
	uses and design work seems to be ongoing on for it.

913 Performance tuning (import over ra_local or ra_dav on a fast connection)

510 architectural/API change (invert txdelta interface)

	Design work sounds ongoing.  This doesn't add user visible
	features or have any stated impact on performance and robustness.
	The issue appears to be an internal change in preparation for
	_future_ (post 1.0) enhancements.

Re: pre 1.0 issues in the database

Posted by Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net>.
On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 13:37, Tom Lord wrote:
> 761 Usability issue (log message files)
>
> 	Not critical to back-end use.   Fixing this certainly won't
> 	prevent usability complaints about 1.0 :-)

-1 on this one moving to post 1.0.  I've also had this happen more times
than I care to think of.  Yes, I DO have a workaround but IMNSHO, the
right thing would be to save a temp file of the message around JIC.

> 860 Performance (large files commits)
>
> 	Not critical to Wiki apps or to many development
> 	projects.

-1 on this one moving post 1.0.  This I also believe ties into (as I
understand) the problem of checking in/importing a LARGE number of files
(IE 4500+) in one step.  Machine runs out of memory and linux OOM killer
kicks in.

> 806 Bug fix clean-up
>
> 	But there's a work-around in place and
> 	discussion of the right solution isn't done.

-0 on moving to post 1.0.  I personally don't 100% understand the
problem that is to be fixed but I trust the team's decision to make this
pre 1.0.

> 913 Performance tuning (import over ra_local or ra_dav on a fast connection)

-1 on this moving to post 1.0.  For SVN to "take over" CVS repositories,
this means that imports of large sections of code will happen.

I GUESS you could sum up my response as -1 on the ENTIRE post and the
ENTIRE idea of 1.0 in 45 days.  IMHO, while it is stable, I TRUST the
devel team's decision that it's not ready for 1.0 release.

--
Jeff Stuart <js...@computer-city.net>

Re: pre 1.0 issues in the database

Posted by Tom Lord <lo...@regexps.com>.

That bug alone prevents you?   I'm surprised you haven't fixed it. :-)

-t

   Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:31:05 -0700
   From: Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>

   Tom Lord wrote:

   > These are things I wouldn't worry about too much for a 1.0:
   >
   > 851 eol-style problem (mixed line-ending files, svn:eol-style native)
   >
   >         This looks both hard and relatively unimportant.

   Just so nobody gets any ideas, this bug is prevent my company from
   using Subversion effectively.

   -1 on moving this after 1.0.

   Best,
   Blair

   --
   Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: pre 1.0 issues in the database

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Posted by Brandon Ehle <az...@yahoo.com>.

>913 Performance tuning (import over ra_local or ra_dav on a fast connection)

I think this bug is important for a 1.0 release because fixing it could
turn your cvs2svn times from several days to a couple hours on large
repositories.  (Which is going to be many users first impressions of
Subversion.)

I'm -1 on delaying this past 1.0 for that reason.