Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io> on 2017/11/06 17:24:39 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] New committer: Onur Karaman

Hi, everyone,

The PMC of Apache Kafka is pleased to announce a new Kafka committer Onur
Karaman.

Onur's most significant work is the improvement of Kafka controller, which
is the brain of a Kafka cluster. Over time, we have accumulated quite a few
correctness and performance issues in the controller. There have been
attempts to fix controller issues in isolation, which would make the code
base more complicated without a clear path of solving all problems. Onur is
the one who took a holistic approach, by first documenting all known
issues, writing down a new design, coming up with a plan to deliver the
changes in phases and executing on it. At this point, Onur has completed
the two most important phases: making the controller single threaded and
changing the controller to use the async ZK api. The former fixed multiple
deadlocks and race conditions. The latter significantly improved the
performance when there are many partitions. Experimental results show that
Onur's work reduced the controlled shutdown time by a factor of 100 times
and the controller failover time by a factor of 3 times.

Congratulations, Onur!

Thanks,

Jun (on behalf of the Apache Kafka PMC)

Re: [ANNOUNCE] New committer: Onur Karaman

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Congratulations Onur!

Ismael

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.
Sorry for being late to the party, but congratulations Onur!

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Sandeep Nemuri <nh...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Onur!!

Posted by Sandeep Nemuri <nh...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Onur!!

Posted by UMESH CHAUDHARY <um...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Onur!

Posted by UMESH CHAUDHARY <um...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Onur!

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Affan,

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Affan,

Posted by Affan Syed <as...@an10.io>.
Congrats Onur,

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Congratulations Onur!

Posted by Onur Karaman <on...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone!

Posted by Onur Karaman <on...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone!

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.
Congrats, Onur!

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.
Congrats, Onur!

Posted by James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations, Onur!

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations, Onur!

Posted by Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Onur!

Posted by James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Onur!

Posted by Abhishek Mendhekar <ab...@gmail.com>.
Congrats Onur!

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io> wrote:

> Hi, everyone,
>
> The PMC of Apache Kafka is pleased to announce a new Kafka committer Onur
> Karaman.
>
> Onur's most significant work is the improvement of Kafka controller, which
> is the brain of a Kafka cluster. Over time, we have accumulated quite a few
> correctness and performance issues in the controller. There have been
> attempts to fix controller issues in isolation, which would make the code
> base more complicated without a clear path of solving all problems. Onur is
> the one who took a holistic approach, by first documenting all known
> issues, writing down a new design, coming up with a plan to deliver the
> changes in phases and executing on it. At this point, Onur has completed
> the two most important phases: making the controller single threaded and
> changing the controller to use the async ZK api. The former fixed multiple
> deadlocks and race conditions. The latter significantly improved the
> performance when there are many partitions. Experimental results show that
> Onur's work reduced the controlled shutdown time by a factor of 100 times
> and the controller failover time by a factor of 3 times.
>
> Congratulations, Onur!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jun (on behalf of the Apache Kafka PMC)

--
Abhishek Mendhekar
abhishek.mendhekar@gmail.com | 818.263.7030

Re: [ANNOUNCE] New committer: Onur Karaman

Posted by Paolo Patierno <pp...@live.com>.
Congrats Onur ! Well deserved !

Paolo Patierno
Senior Software Engineer (IoT) @ Red Hat
Microsoft MVP on Azure & IoT
Microsoft Azure Advisor

Twitter : @ppatierno<http://twitter.com/ppatierno>
Linkedin : paolopatierno<http://it.linkedin.com/in/paolopatierno>
Posted by Viktor Somogyi <vi...@gmail.com>.
Congrats Onur!

Posted by Tom Bentley <t....@gmail.com>.
Well done Onur.

Posted by Jorge Esteban Quilcate Otoya <qu...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Onur!!

Posted by Jaikiran Pai <ja...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Onur!

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
I'd want to add that Onur has also been contributing a lot to the new
consumer development in the past, making it happen in the 0.9 release.

Very well deserved. Congrats, Onur!

Guozhang

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations, Onur!