Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org> on 1998/03/19 06:09:29 UTC

www.apache.org DNS poisoning

Context: he wrote me asking why he was getting 403's when accessing the
site.  I looked through the logs and found only valid hits; he looked and
saw his DNS server were being poisoned through a hole fixed by current
versions of bind.  Good thing we sign our code distributions; though
there's even easier ways to corrupt the distributions if you're an official
apache mirror.  Anyways, just so's ya know.  Maybe we should reiterate the
use of checking the keys when downloading the distribution; we should
probably also start signing our binary distributions.

Or start using SSL only for distribution :)

	Brian

"Optimism is a strategy for making                         brian@apache.org
a better future." - Noam Chomsky                        brian@hyperreal.org

Re: www.apache.org DNS poisoning

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
Grumble.

I would be more interested in tracking the source of it.  But, if he
restarted the DNS server the records will be gone.