Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "J. B. Rainsberger" <jb...@rogers.com> on 2004/07/18 19:50:13 UTC

2 MB file kills repository?

Hello, everyone:

I am a new Subversion convert, having just decided to start making the
switch after waiting for 1.0. Congratulations. Now I have a big problem.

I have set up a repository on a RedHat Linux 9.0 box with Subversion
1.0.5 (r9954). I have created a repository and been able to use it from
my Windows 2000 client (Eclipse 3.0/Subclipse) for a few days now.
Everything has been good until I tried to commit a 2 MB PowerPoint
presentation. (I don't plan to revise it; but I do want it with the
package.)

When I try to commit the file, I get this:

Transmitting file data ...
     The pipe has been ended.
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Can't write to connection: The pipe has been ended.

This then messes up the repository, forcing me to use "svnadmin recover".

This problem is repeatable. I have seen it now three times in a row.
When I finally stopped trying to commit such a large file, everything
was fine.

I have not tried any other configurations yet, but I plan to try a
Windows server to see whether this is a cross-platform issue. (The
little bit I've found in the mailing list seems to indicate some
underlying defect in either a Linux tool or the Linux version of
svnserve.) I have also not tried committing the file from the command
line, although I can't imagine that would matter, since Subclipse only
drives the command line.

Note: I am connecting via svn+ssh using PuTTY/Pageant on the client side.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I would even be happy moving to a
Windows server, if that will actually work. I can wait for a fix to the
Linux edition to move back to a Linux-based server.

Thanks.
--
J. B. Rainsberger,
Diaspar Software Services

FOLLOW-UP/NO SOLUTION Re: 2 MB file kills repository?

Posted by "J. B. Rainsberger" <jb...@rogers.com>.
J. B. Rainsberger wrote:

> I have not tried any other configurations yet, but I plan to try a
> Windows server to see whether this is a cross-platform issue. (The
> little bit I've found in the mailing list seems to indicate some
> underlying defect in either a Linux tool or the Linux version of
> svnserve.) I have also not tried committing the file from the command
> line, although I can't imagine that would matter, since Subclipse only
> drives the command line.

I have remote connection to a Windows server up and running, although I
haven't got the authentication working yet. This is workable, at least
(I'm the only one using the repository on a private LAN). Still, I would
like to know whether there is a solution (yet) to my preceding problem.

Thanks.
--
J. B. Rainsberger,
Diaspar Software Services

Re: 2 MB file kills repository?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 20:36, Michael Brouwer wrote:
> Even if this turns out to be a subclipse problem, the core svn
> distribution is what is running the server and it shouldn't let a
> broken client get the repository into a state requiring svnadmin
> recover should it?

Certainly not... if 'svnadmin' crashed, we need to know how and why, and
what the client did.  That's the only reason the database would need
recovery.

Re: 2 MB file kills repository?

Posted by Michael Brouwer <mi...@tlaloc.net>.
Even if this turns out to be a subclipse problem, the core svn
distribution is what is running the server and it shouldn't let a
broken client get the repository into a state requiring svnadmin
recover should it?

If it did then you'd have a nice DOS attack against other svn users.

Michael

Re: Authentication problems

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
[pretty please, keep this on the users@ list, don't just reply to me.]

On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 18:00, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:
> Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 14:50, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:
> >

> >>Transmitting file data ...
> >>     The pipe has been ended.
> >>svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> >>svn: Can't write to connection: The pipe has been ended.
> >

> > This error looks unfamiliar to me.  It looks like a problem with the ssh
> > connection, not the subversion client or server speaking over it.  It
> > could be a bug in putty/pageant, or some other piece of network
> > equipment getting in the way...?
>
> Thanks. I'll look into that before I go any further.
>
> In the meantime, I can't get svnserve authentication to work. :)
>
> I have:
>
> 1. Set up svnserve.conf on the server, in <repository>/conf
>
> [general]
> auth-access=write
> anon-access=read
>
> [users]
> password-db=passwd.txt
> realm=Diasparsoft Courses

Here's the problem.  There is only one section in svnserve.conf, and
that's [general].  It has a 'realm' and 'password-db' variable.  The
[users] section goes *in* the separate password database, and contains
the user definitions.

Re: 2 MB file kills repository?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 14:50, J. B. Rainsberger wrote:

> Transmitting file data ...
>      The pipe has been ended.
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Can't write to connection: The pipe has been ended.

This error looks unfamiliar to me.  It looks like a problem with the ssh
connection, not the subversion client or server speaking over it.  It
could be a bug in putty/pageant, or some other piece of network
equipment getting in the way...?

> I have not tried any other configurations yet, but I plan to try a
> Windows server to see whether this is a cross-platform issue.

We have no known cross-platform issues. To our knowledge, different
client and server operating systems interoperate just fine.

We also have no known issues with large files;  2MB is nothing.  We've
tested with multi-gigabyte files in the past.  ;-)

>  (The
> little bit I've found in the mailing list seems to indicate some
> underlying defect in either a Linux tool or the Linux version of
> svnserve.)

Can you be more specific?