Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Melanie Philpot <Me...@anite.com> on 2004/05/19 12:34:34 UTC

link parameters

Can I pass parameters from a link to an action?
How do I go about it?

Basically I want a link to change a layout, so I have set up an action which it goes to.
From the action I want to set the right layout and know where I've linked from so I can set the right screen. (hence the parameter)

Thanks for any help

Melanie

Melanie Philpot
Web Developer
Central Government Division
Anite Public Sector
110 Fleet Road
Fleet
Hampshire
GU51 4BL

tel:  01252 360650
ddi: 01252 360668
fax: 01252 819729

email:mailto:melanie.philpot@anite.com
web: http://www.aniteps.com
Registered Office: Anite Public Sector: 100 Longwater Avenue, GreenPark, Reading, Berkshire, RG2 6GP. VAT No. 732 9280 28
Registered in England No. 4045673

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please inform the sender and do not print, copy or disclose its contents to any other person nor use it for any purpose other than for what it was intended.
nor use it for any purpose other than for what it was intended.

Scanned for viruses by MessageLabs. The integrity and security of this message cannot be guaranteed. This email is intended for the named recipient only, and may contain confidential information and proprietary material. Any unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited.

Re: Difference between screen and template.

Posted by Jeffery Painter <pa...@kiasoft.com>.
the difference between screen and template... there really is no physical
template, the TemplateService puts together the final HTML output based on
your Layout, Navigations and then finally your Screen.

You should have a default layout which specifies the position of your
navigations (if you have any) and the $screen_placeholder which is
the location for the contents of your Screen.

1.  /template/app/layouts
2.  /template/app/navigations
3.  /template/app/screens

Layout -> think overall position of elements on screen

You can override layout in the screen by manipulating the
RunData object

 data.setLayoutTemplate()

Screen -> the data, content, you wish to display

You can change the screen that is loaded by using setTemplate() in your
screen class

 setTemplate( data, "MyScreen.vm" )

setTemplate is really specifying which Screen to use (this could
be a cause of confusion, since it is the screen and not a template we are
specifying)

and NEVER use the "/" slash mark when specifying which pages to load, you
should use the "," constructor

Read these pages again if you need a reference.

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2.3/howto/velocity-site-howto.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2.3/services/template-service.html

The two golden rules when using Templates with Turbine

    * 1) Many examples and docs from older Turbine code show template
	paths with a slashes.
      Repeat after me: TEMPLATE NAMES NEVER CONTAIN SLASHES!
      Template names are separated by "," (the comma).

    * 2) Many examples and docs from older Turbine code show templates
	that start with "/". This is not only a violation of the rule above but
	actively breaks things like loading templates from a jar with the velocity
	jar loader.

      Repeat after me: TEMPLATE NAMES ARE NOT PATHS. THEY'RE NOT ABSOLUTE
	AND HAVE NO LEADING /.

Posted by Anthony Smith <an...@fedex.com>.

Re: link parameters

Posted by Peter Courcoux <pe...@courcoux.biz>.
Melanie,

If you want a particular screen to always be displayed with a different
layout from the default (which is usually
templates/app/layouts/Default.vm) then you can use a screen class and
call

 	data.setLayoutTemplate("NewLayout.vm");

in the doBuildTemplate(RunData data) method.

Your class should probably extend VelocityScreen or VelocitySecureScreen
and must be placed in the modules path which turbine will look through
when it searches for the screen classes. See the modules.packages entry
in TurbineResources.properties. The screen class must have the same name
as the screen, ie. MyScreen.vm would have a corresponding MyScreen.java
class.

I hope this helps.

Peter

Re: link parameters

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Daniel <da...@yorku.ca> writes:

>That would execute the doPerform(..) method.

>If you want a particular method in the action to be invoked, then add:
>	.addPathInfo('eventsubmit_doMethod', '')
>	- where "doMethod" is the name of the name you'd like to invoke in
>	  your action class

You might want to use

$link.setActionEvent('MyAction', 'MyEvent')

which hides the gory details of eventSubmit_do and the addPathInfo for you.

	Regards
		Henning

"Fighting for one's political stand is an honourable action, but re-
                                    Open Source Software Development"

Re: link parameters

Posted by Daniel <da...@yorku.ca>.
Hi,

Something like this:

That would execute the doPerform(..) method.

If you want a particular method in the action to be invoked, then add:
	.addPathInfo('eventsubmit_doMethod', '')
	- where "doMethod" is the name of the name you'd like to invoke in
	  your action class

Regards,
Daniel

RE: link parameters

Posted by David Demner <tu...@demner.com>.
Hi Melanie,

I think you're asking for this (which would go in your template):

$link.setAction("YourAction").setPage("GoHere.vm").addQueryData("parm",
"value")

This will call YourAction.  If YourAction doesn't do a setTemplate or
redirect or something, then GoHere.vm will be shown after the action is
complete.  You can get "value" in your action by using
data.getParameters().getString("parm")

That being said, however... How do you want to change the layout?  Are you
just applying a skin?  If so, have a look at the UIManager class.  This
might be what you're looking for and not require a bunch of templates to
change the look of your application.

Good luck,

David