Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andre Hübner <An...@gmx.de> on 2008/02/29 09:35:43 UTC

[users@httpd] SSI resolve IP to hostname

Suse 10.1  Apache 2.2.8

Hello List,

i have just a little problem with name resolution using SSI. Customer of me is using <!--#echo var="REMOTE_ADDR"-->   and <!--#echo var="REMOTE_HOST"--> to show IP and Hostname of Client.
It works without any error, I tried with different ISP. Customer says that his IP could not resolved to hostname and this field stays empty.
I cannot reproduce this without his IP and i dont want to visit him at home ;)
With little PHP and gethostbyaddr or even on console using host i can resolve his IP to his hostename.
Is there a explaination why SSI could fail or is he just kidding me?
>From my side i di not see any errors or mistakes.

Thank you
Andre

Re: [users@httpd] SSI resolve IP to hostname

Posted by Nils Jeppe <ni...@pandemonium.de>.
Hi Andre,

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, [iso-8859-1] Andre Hübner wrote:

> PHP and gethostbyaddr or even on console using host i can resolve his IP
> to his hostename. Is there a explaination why SSI could fail or is he
> just kidding me?
>> From my side i di not see any errors or mistakes.

In theory, it could be a cached display of a temporary dns lookup
failure... even if this is silly, simple advice: Restart browser, clear
browser cache, and do a shift-reload if the remote_host is still empty.

- Nils

Re: [users@httpd] SSI resolve IP to hostname

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Andre Hübner <An...@gmx.de> wrote:
> In current conf it is off but if i request this ssi-page of costumer i see
>  my resolved hostname.
>  hmm, i could switch to on but i think it is not recommend. There are more
>  domains
>  served by this apache and i'm afraid of delays at serving the requests.

REMOTE_HOST is resolved if either HostnameLookups is On or if you have
an Allow or Deny directive that forces hostname resolution.

For your case, you can put HostnameLookups into a <Directory> section
to restrict its application only to where it is needed.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] SSI resolve IP to hostname

> i have just a little problem with name resolution using SSI. Customer of
> me
> is using <!--#echo var="REMOTE_ADDR"--> and <!--#echo
> var="REMOTE_HOST"--> to show IP and Hostname of Client. It works without
> any error, I tried with different ISP. Customer says that his IP could not
> resolved to hostname and this field stays empty. I cannot reproduce this
> without his IP and i dont want to visit him at home ;) With little PHP and
> gethostbyaddr or even on console using host i can resolve his IP to his
> hostename. Is there a explaination why SSI could fail or is he just
> kidding
> me?
>
> >From my side i di not see any errors or mistakes.

You probably want to set HostnameLookups to On

 http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#hostnamelookups

Torsten

Re: [users@httpd] SSI resolve IP to hostname

Posted by Torsten Foertsch <to...@gmx.net>.