Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by takumi yoshida <yo...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/25 08:05:37 UTC

dataDir param for collection CREATE command

Hi,

I wounder if we add new parameter dataDir for collection CREATE command.
There have been dataDir for ADDREPLICA command. So, if we add dataDir for
CREATE too, it would be more easy to handle data directory when we make new
collection with new disk or NFS, etc ...

What do you think?

Thanks,
Takumi

Re: dataDir param for collection CREATE command

Posted by Takumi Yoshida <ta...@yahoo-corp.jp>.
Hi All,

Thank you for replying. I didn’t have think about the case which multi core exists in the same server.
I saw SOLR-6671 and found out that helping me well! I’m looking forward to merge and release it.

Thank you,

Takumi

2017/05/26 7:17 に、"Erick Erickson" <er...@gmail.com> を書き込みました:

    Ahhh, as usual Jan is far ahead of the curve ;)

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Yea, having exact dataDir as a system property is a flawed design dating back before distributed Solr…
See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-6671 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-6671> for my proposal to solve the user requirement

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
How would you specify it? Say you have two replicas on the same Solr
instance (a common occurrence). Now say at collection creation time
you specified an absolute path (or even a relative one that goes "up"
a few levels).

Now you'd have both replicas pointing to the same data dir. Somehow
you'd have to pass a different dataDir to each replica that was
created, which seems difficult.

Best,
Erick