Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/01 02:37:28 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release PyLucene 4.8.0-1

+1 to release.

pylucene 4.8.0-1’s ‘make test’ succeeded after building and installing JCC, and then building pylucene.

I had a bunch of problems getting the JCC build to work on OS X 10.9.2.

In a recent email thread, Andi said "Mavericks + command line tools + oracle java 7 is the combination I use for development and it seems to work fine.”  I too have this same combination, but it didn’t work for me using Homebrew python 4.7 or the stock python 4.7.

This sequence worked for me:

1. Prefixed the JVMVersion <string> in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0.jdk/Contents/Info.plist with an exclamation point, to get /usr/libexec/java_home to think Java 7 is the most recent.
2. Installed the most recent command line developer tools.
3. Compiled Python 2.7.6 from source, which used clang masquerading as gcc.
4. Installed gcc with Homebrew and symlinked gcc and g++ to gcc-4.8 and g++-4.8 in /usr/local/bin/.

I’m not sure which of step #'s 1-3 were required, if any — I didn’t feel like going back and trying different combinations — but #4 was required, which seems strange, since AFAICT the jcc build should have been using the same compiler as the built-from-source Python.  Before I did step #4, I was getting exactly the same build error as reported in other threads about this problem:

ld: internal error: atom not found in symbolIndex(__ZN7JNIEnv_13CallIntMethodEP8_jobjectP10_jmethodIDz) for architecture x86_64

Steve

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
  Hi Steve,

Thank you for your vote. Comments inline.

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014, Steve Rowe wrote:

> +1 to release.
>
> pylucene 4.8.0-1?s ?make test? succeeded after building and installing JCC, and then building pylucene.
>
> I had a bunch of problems getting the JCC build to work on OS X 10.9.2.
>
> In a recent email thread, Andi said "Mavericks + command line tools + oracle java 7 is the combination I use for development and it seems to work fine.?  I too have this same combination, but it didn?t work for me using Homebrew python 4.7 or the stock python 4.7.
>
> This sequence worked for me:
>
> 1. Prefixed the JVMVersion <string> in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0.jdk/Contents/Info.plist with an exclamation point, to get /usr/libexec/java_home to think Java 7 is the most recent.
> 2. Installed the most recent command line developer tools.
> 3. Compiled Python 2.7.6 from source, which used clang masquerading as gcc.
> 4. Installed gcc with Homebrew and symlinked gcc and g++ to gcc-4.8 and g++-4.8 in /usr/local/bin/.
>
> I?m not sure which of step #'s 1-3 were required, if any ? I didn?t feel like going back and trying different combinations ? but #4 was required, which seems strange, since AFAICT the jcc build should have been using the same compiler as the built-from-source Python.  Before I did step #4, I was getting exactly the same build error as reported in other threads about this problem:
>
> ld: internal error: atom not found in symbolIndex(__ZN7JNIEnv_13CallIntMethodEP8_jobjectP10_jmethodIDz) for architecture x86_64

That most likely points at a mismatch between the Java header files
picked up by the C/C++ compiler and the Java libraries picked up by the
linker.
The safe way to ensure these match, is to set JAVA_HOME before rebuilding
JCC and PyLucene.

Andi..

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
  Hi Steve,