Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@japila.pl> on 2016/12/23 14:13:35 UTC

MapOutputTracker.getMapSizesByExecutorId and mutation on the driver?

Hi,

I've been reviewing how MapOutputTracker works and can't understand
the comment [1]:

// Synchronize on the returned array because, on the driver, it gets
mutated in place

How is this possible since "the returned array" is a local value? I'm
stuck and would appreciate help. Thanks!

(It also says "Called from executors" [2] so how could the driver be involved?!)

[1] https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/MapOutputTracker.scala#L145

[2] https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/MapOutputTracker.scala#L133

Pozdrawiam,
Jacek Laskowski
----
https://medium.com/@jaceklaskowski/
Mastering Apache Spark 2.0 https://bit.ly/mastering-apache-spark

Re: MapOutputTracker.getMapSizesByExecutorId and mutation on the driver?

Posted by Liang-Chi Hsieh <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think the comment [1] is only correct for "getStatistics" as it is called
at driver side. It should be added in "getMapSizesByExecutorId" by mistake.

Jacek Laskowski wrote
> Hi,
>
> I've been reviewing how MapOutputTracker works and can't understand
> the comment [1]:
>
> // Synchronize on the returned array because, on the driver, it gets
> mutated in place
>
> How is this possible since "the returned array" is a local value? I'm
> stuck and would appreciate help. Thanks!
>
> (It also says "Called from executors" [2] so how could the driver be
> involved?!)
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/MapOutputTracker.scala#L145
>
> [2]