Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ramadoss Chinnakuzhandai <rc...@register.com> on 2003/10/22 22:21:09 UTC

User Authentication implemented in Struts

apologize for repeating my question again....I'm newbie to Struts and hv basic doubt in security level implemented using Struts framework.

we are aware that in normal J2EE application we are authenticating user based on user access level specified in web-app in web.xml(web container)

My Questions are

1.Are we following the same process of authenticating a user against his/her access level as that of the above...? if not pls explain how you are authentication a user in your struts-based application.

2.If yes to the above question Is there someother way of authenticating a user available in Sturts? If so pls explain how you are authentication a user?

tnx in advance.

Regards,
-Ram

Re: User Authentication implemented in Struts

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.

If you made roles for each region, you could use them in that way too,
however I think that would be too cumbersome.

A servlet filter is also a possibility, but also not optimal I think.

I would make the implementation depend on the data model rather than the
authorisation scheme.

For instance in your data model, you can have sales associated with
different regions. You can also have users associated with different
regions. Therefore it will not be difficult to write SQL queries for
your reports where the sales displayed are selected by user.

e.g. a junior salesman has an association with one region, but a sales
manager would have links to several regions. The finance people would
have links to all regions.

Hope that's clear,
Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9

Re: User Authentication implemented in Struts

Posted by Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.