Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by "Spräner, Carsten" <Ca...@viadee.de> on 2003/06/13 11:31:30 UTC

Anonymous Access and One Class One Table?

Hi,

some weeks ago thma wrotes in a posting that the feature of anonymous fields gives the posibility to use the "One Class One Table" inharitance strategy. I managed to get the howto-use-anonymous-fields to html and tried to understand it.IMHO anonymous fields are fields, which are only in the database and NOT in the object model. In the howto these are the IDs and FK-Fields. Making them anonymous tells OJB to handel the values on its own. (Assigning PKs and updating the FKs).

With this aproach it is possible to make the reference handling transparent to the Object domain.

But i have no idea how this can be used to manage inheritance???

Any help??

Thanx

carsten spraener

Re: Anonymous Access and One Class One Table?

Posted by Raymond Barlow <rb...@raymanoz.com>.
Hi Guys,

I am eagerly following this thread, as I too have had problems with
vertical inheritance, and am not sure if I was doing everything right.

One question about the tests that you are putting together, have you
included a test for searching for objects? I was having problems with
this in the past, and could never get it working (always
NullPointerException's). If there is a test (using extents) and it is
working, I would be very interested in having a look at it. If there
isn't a test, I think one should be written. I'd do it myself, but I
don't think I have a firm enough grasp of OJB concepts etc. to be
getting involved just yet.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Raymond Barlow