Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Andrew Ballantine <ac...@willowbrook.co.uk> on 2007/01/02 11:51:13 UTC

RE: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

Hi,

Continual update is fine as long as the update process is:
a) Automatic ( like MS Windows updates)
b) Controllable ( Administrator decides when to implement)
c) Reversable (when the update causes a problem)

In order to do that you need a very strict testing program of all updates,
which I do not believe your community, though enthusiastic, can manage.

You will also come to a point where you want to implement something that
breaks previous compatibility and the only way to do that is to have a new
version. In the history of computing all projects reach a point where new
stuff cannot be implemented under the old rules/methods of the project and a
new version is created which has little compatibility with the last version.
There are various reasons for this, but I won't go into them here for the
sake of brevity.

My own personal experience of downloading from the latest SVN of ofbiz is of
failure to build. Maybe I have been unlucky, but I would prefer there to be
a current release that has all major bugs resolved as a working whole.
Revisions to the major release should be made available as updates to the
current stable release, but also added to a newer revised release that will
become the next stable release.

The updates could also be graded so that administrators of production
systems could gain confidence as to whether the update is safe to install.
Any update must be reversible in order to quickly undo an update which gave
unpredicted results.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I agree with Jacopo,

I have put in place a task that update OFBiz automatically. Actually I have 3 versions of OFBiz :
  std trunk
  for POS - I do most of my modifications there
  with Opentaps modules

I run by hand ant or ant run-install for each of them suiving if they are new data or not. It takes me less than 10' per day (and
during this elapse most of this time I do other tasks)

If someone is interested here is the batch I use on XP for that

@Echo off
d:
cd \WorkspaceNew\ofbiz
ECHO ofbiz======================================================================
call svn up
ECHO ofbiz======================================================================
ECHO                                                                           *
ECHO                                                                           *
cd \WorkspaceNew\ofbiz.pos
ECHO ofbiz.pos==================================================================
call svn up
ECHO ofbiz.pos==================================================================
ECHO                                                                           *
ECHO                                                                           *
cd \WorkspaceNew\opentaps
ECHO opentaps===================================================================
call svn up
cd \WorkspaceNew\opentaps\hot-deploy\crmsfa
call svn up
cd \WorkspaceNew\opentaps\hot-deploy\financials
call svn up
ECHO opentaps===================================================================
ECHO                                                                           *
ECHO                                                                           *

:menu
echo a) ant
echo b) install
echo q) quitter
choice /c:abq Quelle option ?
if errorlevel = 3 goto fin
if errorlevel = 2 goto install
if errorlevel = 1 goto ant

:ant
cd \WorkspaceNew\ofbiz
call ant
pause ofbiz ok ?
cd \WorkspaceNew\ofbiz.pos
call ant
pause ofbiz.pos ok ?
cd \WorkspaceNew\opentaps
call ant
pause opentaps ok ?
goto fin

:install
cd \WorkspaceNew\ofbiz
call ant run-install
pause ofbiz ok ?
cd \WorkspaceNew\ofbiz.pos
call ant run-install
pause ofbiz.pos ok ?
cd \WorkspaceNew\opentaps
call ant run-install
pause opentaps ok ?

:fin

Before the choise I have only to search for the token "data" and that's it.
This may be adapted easily even in a .sh I guess.

Jacques

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
Andrew,

I'd agree with this, about 95% of the time everything builds just fine.

If you are getting a problem like this make sure you post here, such
problems are normally fixed VERY quickly!

- Andrew (Sykes)

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>