Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Steve Brewin <sb...@synsys.com> on 2003/09/22 00:37:41 UTC

Bug #21445 Enable FetchPop to access non-standard ports

Hi,

Regarding the above enhancement request, I believe it should be rejected as
the desired behaviour can be obtained simply by specifying the appropriate
JavaMail properties. No code changes are required.

fetchPOP uses the default JavaMail Session instance. The JavaMail property
'mail.pop3.port' specifies the POP3 port - see
http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/javadocs/com/sun/mail/pop3/package-sum
mary.html - allowing the default of 110 to be overridden.

There are a number of other important values specified in this way. Some
have nonsensical default values, such as the connection timeouts, which
default to infinity (somewhat longer than I would want to wait before
releasing the resources associated with making the connection).

Whilst I believe that this enhancement request should be rejected, updating
the documentation to point to the URL above for how to change JavaMail's
default behaviour would help.

To pre-empt the question, yes, fetchmail (fetchPOP's replacement) currently
uses the default JavaMail Session instance too. Not for much longer however.
I'm currently modifying fetchmail to support a Session instance per fetch
task and adding a <javaMailProperties/> section to the configuration that
allows the setting of any JavaMail property on each Session. Different
Providers support different properties. This gives the flexibility to
support all of those properties without hard-coding each one. e.g.:

<javaMailProperties>
    <property name="mail.pop3.port" value="111"/>
    <property name="mail.pop3.connectiontimeout" value="30000"/>
    <property name="mail.pop3.newprovider.newproperty" value="nohassle"/>
</javaMailProperties>

This also give us the opportunity to specify sensible values in the shipped
default configuration.

Note that I have no intention of porting this to fetchPOP.

-- Steve

RE: Bug #21445 Enable FetchPop to access non-standard ports

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Regarding the above enhancement request, I believe it should be rejected
as
> the desired behaviour can be obtained simply by specifying the appropriate
> JavaMail properties. No code changes are required.

> fetchPOP uses the default JavaMail Session instance.

Actually, FetchPOP uses the POP3 Client from Jakarta Commons Net.

> I'm currently modifying fetchmail to support a Session instance per fetch
> task and adding a <javaMailProperties/> section to the configuration that
> allows the setting of any JavaMail property on each Session.

Then we'll close the request after we've applied those changes to FetchMail.
And it is great to hear what you're working on, Steve.  :-)

In case it hasn't been said: Attaboy!  :-)

	--- Noel