Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com> on 2021/10/06 20:59:28 UTC

MXRoyale splitting to two libs - please provide your feedback.

I have had at least two requests for it, and others still express support
for it, and it has been said in past discussions that if someone is willing
to 'put in the work' that it's welcome... so I wanted to signal my
intention to split MXRoyale up into two libraries - the first being most of
the non-UI classes "MXRoyaleBase", and the second being the same as the
current "MXRoyale" lib is now.

I already have this working locally, so this is really just a check-in to
make sure everyone is comfortable with it before I push any changes related
to this.
If, after reading this post, you have any concerns, can you please share
them in reply to this thread.

The change will make it easier for people who want to use (for example) the
mx services/remoting support with a non-emulation component set (e.g.
Jewel). It may also make it easier for any Royale developer who wants to
take a shot at an alternate version of the mx emulation set (if anyone is
so inclined) because the non-UI parts and likely some of the UI interfaces
only will be in the MXRoyaleBase library. As an example, someone might want
to create a new emulation set that more closely mirrors (assuming it is
possible to do so) the original measurement and layout aspects of the Flex
lifecycle, or which takes advantage of more modern browser APIs because
they don't care about support for older browsers, or simply for whatever
other reasons they might have.

What impact will it have on me?
*Royale User:*
No change for emulation users: If you are using MXRoyale currently, it will
continue to work as it has before.
Non-emulation users: If you want to use mx service classes (for example) in
some non-emulation component set (e.g. Jewel or Basic), it will make things
easier for you because you can switch to MXRoyaleBase.swc and won't have to
exclude the css from the MXRoyale.swc. At the same time, the current
approach for excluding css will continue to work as before.

*Royale Developer:*
The source code from the current MXRoyale codebase will be split into two
libraries- MXRoyaleBase for mostly non-UI code and MXRoyale which will be
mostly the UI implementation code. MXRoyale swc build will include the
MXRoyaleBase source code and its mxml component definitions so that the
code from the other swc gets included, resulting in the same swc build as
before for MXRoyale (this avoids breaking any builds for folks using
MXRoyale). The biggest impact from an emulation developer's perspective is
that potentially you might need to look in two library codebases (e.g. if
you are making changes to IUIComponent which is in MXRoyaleBase and
UIComponent which is in MXRoyale). If you are working on non-UI code, it
should mainly be in MXRoyaleBase. If you are mainly working mainly on the
UI code, which I think is very often the case, it will continue to be in
MXRoyale.

Thanks,
Greg

Re: MXRoyale splitting to two libs - please provide your feedback.

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.
Sure Piotr,

If you need MXRoyale (with MXRoyale view components)

then it would be exactly the same as before:

<dependency>
          <groupId>org.apache.royale.framework</groupId>
          <artifactId>MXRoyale</artifactId>
          <version>0.9.9-SNAPSHOT</version>
          <type>swc</type>
          <classifier>js</classifier>
</dependency>

Currently where you are using MXRoyale service classes only (and don't want
view components or css), you had to do this:

<dependency>
          <groupId>org.apache.royale.framework</groupId>
          <artifactId>MXRoyale</artifactId>
          <version>0.9.9-SNAPSHOT</version>
          <type>swc</type>
          <classifier>js</classifier>
</dependency>

and include this in <additionalCompilerOptions>:
-compiler.exclude-defaults-css-files=MXRoyale-0.9.9-SNAPSHOT-js.swc:defaults.css;

(this is for maven specifically, for ant or IDE builds the directive is
slightly different to reflect the different swc filename conventions)

Instead of doing the above two things, you will simply be able to do this
instead:

<dependency>
          <groupId>org.apache.royale.framework</groupId>
          <artifactId>MXRoyaleBase</artifactId>

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Thanks, hopefully this is not really too complicated. I think there are
already some crux examples in the SDK that would already be candidates for
changing, for example. I can look at modifying those when I add it,
assuming there are no concerns voiced about moving forward with this. I
might leave it another 36 hours or so and move forward at that point if
there are no objections.

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alina Kazi <al...@gmail.com>.
+1 for two libs

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
+1 for that.

--

Piotr Zarzycki

RE: MXRoyale splitting to two libs - please provide your feedback.

Posted by Maria Jose Esteve <mj...@iest.com>.
Sorry? "Madremía!!! , as they say in my country"
No sorry, just a thank you. I wish I could collaborate like you, I'm only half beta tester hahahahahaha.

Thank you very much to you
Hiedra
Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maria Jose Esteve <mj...@iest.com>.

Posted by Maria Jose Esteve <mj...@iest.com>.
Hi Edward,

Yes, that was the first thing I looked at but I can't identify any problems. This is the exit:

[INFO]

[INFO] --------------< org.apache.royale.framework:MXRoyaleBase >--------------

[INFO] Building Apache Royale: Framework: Libs: MXRoyaleBase 0.9.9-SNAPSHOT [22/162]

[INFO] --------------------------------[ swc ]---------------------------------

[INFO]

[INFO] --- maven-clean-plugin:3.1.0:clean (default-clean) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO]

[INFO] --- maven-enforcer-plugin:1.4.1:enforce (enforce-maven-version) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO]

[INFO] --- royale-maven-plugin:0.9.9-SNAPSHOT:generate-extern (default-generate-extern) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO]

[INFO] --- royale-maven-plugin:0.9.9-SNAPSHOT:generate-playerglobal (default-generate-playerglobal) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO]

[INFO] --- maven-remote-resources-plugin:1.7.0:process (process-resource-bundles) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO] Preparing remote bundle org.apache:apache-jar-resource-bundle:1.4

[INFO] Copying 3 resources from 1 bundle.

[INFO]

[INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:3.1.0:resources (default-resources) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.

[INFO] Copying 2 resources

[INFO] Copying 3 resources

[INFO]

[INFO] --- royale-maven-plugin:0.9.9-SNAPSHOT:compile-as (default-compile-as) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO]

[INFO] --- royale-maven-plugin:0.9.9-SNAPSHOT:compile-js (default-compile-js) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO] Executing COMPC in tool group Royale with args: [-load-config=D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\MXRoyaleBase\target\compile-js-config.xml, -js-default-initializers=false, -source-map=true, -source-map-source-root=/frameworks/projects/MXRoyaleBase/src/main/royale/, -js-complex-implicit-coercions=false, -js-vector-index-checks=false, -js-resolve-uncertain=false, -js-compiler-define=COMPILE::JS,true, -js-compiler-define=COMPILE::SWF,false, -js-compiler-define=GOOG::DEBUG,goog.DEBUG, -js-compiler-define=ROYALE::DISPLAYOBJECT,IUIComponent, -js-compiler-define=ROYALE::PROXYVISIBILITY,public, -namespace+=http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009,D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\MXRoyaleBase/../../mxml-2009-manifest.xml, -compiler.js-namespaces.namespace+=http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009,D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\MXRoyaleBase/../../mxml-2009-manifest.xml, -compiler.js-namespaces.namespace+=library://ns.apache.org/royale/mx,D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\MXRoyaleBase/src/main/resources/mx-royale-manifest.xml, -compiler.warn-instance-of-changes=false, -compiler.warn-this-within-closure=false, -compiler.targets=SWF,JSRoyale, -compiler.strict-xml=true]

[...]

target:SWF

target:JSRoyale

COMPC

653438 bytes written to D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\MXRoyaleBase\target\MXRoyaleBase-0.9.9-SNAPSHOT-js.swc in 1,279 seconds

COMPCJSCRoyale

6.42202245 seconds

[INFO]

[INFO] --- royale-maven-plugin:0.9.9-SNAPSHOT:compile-extern (default-compile-extern) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO]

[INFO] --- royale-maven-plugin:0.9.9-SNAPSHOT:compile-playerglobal (default-compile-playerglobal) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO]

[INFO] --- maven-resources-plugin:3.1.0:testResources (default-testResources) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.

[INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\MXRoyaleBase\src\test\resources

[INFO] Copying 3 resources

[INFO]

[INFO] --- royale-maven-plugin:0.9.9-SNAPSHOT:trust (default-trust) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

- Updating FlashPlayer security trust file at: C:\Users\hiedra\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#Security\FlashPlayerTrust\apache-royale-maven-plugin.cfg

- Directory 'D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\MXRoyaleBase\target' already listed in FlashPlayer security trust file at: C:\Users\hiedra\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#Security\FlashPlayerTrust\apache-royale-maven-plugin.cfg

[INFO]

[INFO] --- maven-site-plugin:3.7.1:attach-descriptor (attach-descriptor) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO] Skipping because packaging 'swc' is not pom.

[INFO]

[INFO] --- apache-rat-plugin:0.13:check (license-check) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO] RAT will not execute since it is configured to be skipped via system property 'rat.skip'.

[INFO]

[INFO] --- maven-install-plugin:2.5.2:install (default-install) @ MXRoyaleBase ---

[INFO] No primary artifact to install, installing attached artifacts instead.

[INFO] Installing D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\MXRoyaleBase\pom.xml to H:\.m2\org\apache\royale\framework\MXRoyaleBase\0.9.9-SNAPSHOT\MXRoyaleBase-0.9.9-SNAPSHOT.pom

[INFO] Installing D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\MXRoyaleBase\target\MXRoyaleBase-0.9.9-SNAPSHOT-js.swc to H:\.m2\org\apache\royale\framework\MXRoyaleBase\0.9.9-SNAPSHOT\MXRoyaleBase-0.9.9-SNAPSHOT-js.swc

[INFO]

[INFO] ----------------< org.apache.royale.framework:Storage >-----------------

[INFO] Building Apache Royale: Framework: Libs: Storage 0.9.9-SNAPSHOT [23/162]

[INFO] --------------------------------[ swc ]---------------------------------

[INFO]

I attach a log of the previous compilation (without MX changes) and another one of the current compilation (the first one ok, and the second one not).

This is the content of the frameworks/libs directory: (from my previous compilation the files are missing: Crux.swc, Icons.swc, Jewel.swc, JewelTheme.swc, KeepsFBFromHanging.swc)

./air/                       ./player/

Basic.swc             Binding.swc          Charts.swc           Collections.swc                   Core.swc                              CreateJS.swc                        DragDrop.swc

Effects.swc           Express.swc         Flat.swc                 FontAwesome.swc             Formatters.swc                  GoogleMaps.swc                 Graphics.swc

HTML.swc            HTML5.swc          jQuery.swc           Language.swc                     MaterialDesignLite.swc    Mobile.swc                           MXRoyale.swc

Network.swc        Reflection.swc     RoyaleSite.swc    RoyaleUnit.swc                    RoyaleUnitUI.swc               SparkRoyale.swc                 Storage.swc

Text.swc               TLF.swc                 XML.swc

And this is of the frameworks/js/libs (Here it is MXRoyaleBaseJS.swc)

AceJS.swc                             BasicJS.swc          BindingJS.swc      ChartsJS.swc        CollectionsJS.swc               CoreJS.swc                           CreateJSJS.swc

DragDropJS.swc                 EffectsJS.swc       ExpressJS.swc     FlatJS.swc              FontAwesomeJS.swc         FormattersJS.swc                GoogleMapsJS.swc

GraphicsJS.swc                   HTML5JS.swc       HTMLJS.swc         jQueryJS.swc        LanguageJS.swc                  MaterialDesignLiteJS.swc                MobileJS.swc

MXRoyaleBaseJS.swc        MXRoyaleJS.swc  NetworkJS.swc    ReflectionJS.swc  RoyaleSiteJS.swc                 RoyaleUnitJS.swc                RoyaleUnitUIJS.swc

SparkRoyaleJS.swc             StorageJS.swc     TextJS.swc            TLFJS.swc              XMLJS.swc

Hahahaha, Do you recognise anything?

Hiedra.

Posted by Edward Stangler <es...@bradmark.com>.
Maria,

Posted by Maria Jose Esteve <mj...@iest.com>.
Hi Edward,

I have the same error with your compile command. ☹

compile:

     [echo] swc-date is 10/13/21 16:44 +0200

compile-swf:

     [echo] Compiling libs/Crux.swc

     [echo] ROYALE_HOME: D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork

     [echo] ROYALE_SWF_COMPILER_HOME: D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork

     [echo] ROYALE_COMPILER_HOME: D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork/js

     [java] Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Xms256m -Xmx2048m

     [java] args:

     [java] +royalelib=D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork/frameworks

     [java] +playerglobal.version=11.1

     [java] +env.AIR_HOME=D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork

     [java] -compiler.strict-xml=true

     [java] -compiler.targets=SWF,JSRoyale

     [java] -metadata.date=10/13/21 16:44 +0200

     [java] -metadata.dateFormat=MM/dd/yy HH:mm Z

     [java] -swf-debugfile-alias=/org/apache/royale/0.9.9

     [java] -output=D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\Crux/target/Crux.swc

     [java] -load-config=D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\Crux/src/main/config/compile-swf-config.xml

     [java] -js-load-config=D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork/frameworks/js-config.xml

     [java] -js-load-config+=D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\Crux/../../js/projects/CruxJS/src/main/config/compile-js-config.xml

     [java] 0.56729972 secondsD:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\Crux\src\main\config\compile-swf-config.xml(40): col: 0 unable to open 'D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\libs\MXRoyaleBase.swc'.

     [java]

     [java] D:\Develop_Royale\Projects\Royale-SDK\royale-asjs-fork\frameworks\projects\Crux\src\main\config\compile-swf-config.xml (line: 40)

     [java]

     [java]         </external-library-path>

     [java]

     [java]

Press a key to continue . . .

How can it be if my bat is the same as always?

Compiled fine without problems until commit " <jo...@apache.org> c2f7c2855f70342612bf732e742253434fffe9b032 05/10/2021 18:43:17".

I resubmit my SDK build bat:

call ant super-clean

call mvn clean install -DskipTests -Drat.skip=true -P option-with-sass-compile

SET JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS=-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Xms256m -Xmx2048m

call ant all -Dbuild.noprompt=true -Drelease.target=true -Dskip-tests=true

Later I will do another test, "compile Maven without sass" because maybe the problem is there.

Hiedra

Posted by Edward Stangler <es...@bradmark.com>.
    ant -Dskip-tests=1 all

Posted by Maria Jose Esteve <mj...@iest.com>.