Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Vijay Gill <vi...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/20 13:52:59 UTC

Is this the right way to configure apache? (if it is possible)

Hi

I have some 30 repositories (all small projects I develop at home). I
am planning to setup apache so that I can use url something like this

http://repository.server.name

I read it in apache documentation some time ago that I can have one
generic setting for multiple virtual name based hosts. So, in this new
up, a virtual host is going to be a repository.

Currently I am using "http://server.name/repository" way of settings
in apache, with all respositories hosted in located in one parent
directory.

I do not see any difference (from the point of view of functionality)
but is there a preferred way of setting things up?

As a side not, I am using subversion since 2005-01-06 and I absolutely
like it. Thanks to the developers for such a great tool.

Thanks
Vijay

Re: Is this the right way to configure apache? (if it is possible)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 20, 2006, at 07:52, Vijay Gill wrote:

> I have some 30 repositories (all small projects I develop at home). I
> am planning to setup apache so that I can use url something like this
>
> http://repository.server.name
>
> I read it in apache documentation some time ago that I can have one
> generic setting for multiple virtual name based hosts. So, in this new
> up, a virtual host is going to be a repository.
>
> Currently I am using "http://server.name/repository" way of settings
> in apache, with all respositories hosted in located in one parent
> directory.
>
> I do not see any difference (from the point of view of functionality)
> but is there a preferred way of setting things up?

Subversion supports the http://server.name/repository URL layout by
doing this:

<VirtualHost *>
	ServerName server.name
	<Location />
		DAV svn
		SVNParentPath /path/to/repositories
	</Location>
</VirtualHost>

Note that this URL strategy is problematic for /favicon.ico, /
robots.txt and other resources which by convention or standard must
be at the root of the URL space, but because of the "Location /"
cannot be. The recommendation therefore is to use "Location /svn/" or
anything else other than "/" so that you leave a place at the root
for such resources.

I am not aware of a way to achieve the URL layout http://
repository.server.name . If you're aware of a way to get that, I'm
sure it would interest others if you share it. This would also fix
the problem with /favicon.ico and so forth, as these files could then
just be put into each repository.