Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net> on 2002/05/13 18:45:22 UTC

PR 8482: server push CGIs broken

The PR was written for nph CGIs but it appears that any server push
CGI is broken.

Apparently, core_output_filter() would need to switch between
non-blocking and blocking bucket reads (and flush the output
in-between) to get this to work.

For non-nph server push CGIs to work, other filters which buffer data
may need something similar...

Comments?
--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: PR 8482: server push CGIs broken

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@apache.org>.
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> The PR was written for nph CGIs but it appears that any server push
> CGI is broken.
>
> Apparently, core_output_filter() would need to switch between
> non-blocking and blocking bucket reads (and flush the output
> in-between) to get this to work.
>
> For non-nph server push CGIs to work, other filters which buffer data
> may need something similar...

ouch...  If this works in 1.3, we probably should fix it.

Is this even limited to CGIs?  I would hope such a CGI could be ported to the
Apache module API without loosing functionality.

I vaguely recall a discussion about supporting a module/CGI which sends an
initial message to the client before doing a slow database query, perhaps when
filters were being designed.  Obviously such a thing won't work as desired now.

Greg