Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Anthony E. Carlos" <an...@digitalphenom.com> on 2004/09/21 05:51:59 UTC

Do the jars I use affect webapp reloadability?

Hello,

I'm experiencing a memory problem that is documented in
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/deployment.html at the bottom.
When I redeploy a web app, a 12MB chunk of memory gets taken by the
JVM. After a few redeployments, I get an OutOfMemory error. The faq
mentioned above blames it on the Classloader not being able to be
recycled. I know that I can increase the size of the memory, but that
isn't the real solution because eventually I'm going to have to restart
Tomcat to reclaim the lost memory.

My question is, do the jars I'm using affect the reloadability of a web
app so that the Classloader cannot be recycled? I suspect this because
as soon as I add a few jars to my apps, I start experiencing this
phenomenon. I have a suspicion that it is OJB or the Oracle JDBC
drivers, but I don't have any empirical data. Do you know of any jars
that specifically cause this? Is there anything that can be done to
ensure that the Classloader can be recycled (thus allowing me to
redeploy web apps without wasting memory)?

Thanks,

-Anthony Carlos