Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/27 17:49:42 UTC

3.4.1, 3.5?, 4.0 ...

We seem to have a handle on what we're doing for a 3.4.1 release, and quite
a number of ideas floating around for 4.0

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0+Feature+Planning

and even 4.1 ?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1+Feature+Planning

I'm wondering if it's worth the time to put a more concerted effort (after
3.4.1) into code cleanup, refactoring,etc., and do an intermediate release
*before* 4.0 as 3.5. There's been some discussion about this in the past
along with the complexity of the code, and I think maybe focusing on JUST
that aspect might serve us well in the long run. When I hear about 1 hour
builds, I'm thinking surely we can do better. That and the size of the code
base concerns me. Again, I am not a coder on this project, and I do realize
that taking things apart and putting them back together is NOT easy. So my
remarks may be very naive.

I really don't have a good sense of what it means to go from a 3.4 to 3.5,
etc.  either. It would be great if someone more intimately involved in
development could furnish some more information about that aspect on the
planning wiki.

Thoughts?
MzK

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
                                 -- Mark Twain

Re: 3.4.1, 3.5?, 4.0 ...

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@apache.org>.
You may take a look at OO.o 3.2, 3.3 release notes, to get an idea
about what took OO.o from 3.x to 3.x+1.

Items in feature planning are just hints about what people have in
mind. There is no  guarantee  for them.

There are two ways we can get to the next release of AOO.

1, Choose a core set of features and bug fixes and the schedule of
next release depends on the progress of those features.
This can give end user a clear view about next release in advance. It
also requires a good command of resource.

2, Time boxed release. Get a new release every half year. The release
version depends on how much improvements have been made in it.
This is more suitable for AOO.

Re: 3.4.1, 3.5?, 4.0 ...

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:30 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
<jo...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 5/27/12 5:49 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> We seem to have a handle on what we're doing for a 3.4.1 release, and
>> quite
>> a number of ideas floating around for 4.0
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
>> AOO+4.0+Feature+Planning<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0+Feature+Planning>
>>
>> and even 4.1 ?
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
>> AOO+4.1+Feature+Planning<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1+Feature+Planning>
>>
>> I'm wondering if it's worth the time to put a more concerted effort (after
>> 3.4.1) into code cleanup, refactoring,etc., and do an intermediate release
>> *before* 4.0 as 3.5. There's been some discussion about this in the past
>> along with the complexity of the code, and I think maybe focusing on JUST
>> that aspect might serve us well in the long run. When I hear about 1 hour
>> builds, I'm thinking surely we can do better. That and the size of the
>> code
>> base concerns me. Again, I am not a coder on this project, and I do
>> realize
>> that taking things apart and putting them back together is NOT easy. So my
>> remarks may be very naive.
>>
>> I really don't have a good sense of what it means to go from a 3.4 to 3.5,
>> etc.  either. It would be great if someone more intimately involved in
>> development could furnish some more information about that aspect on the
>> planning wiki.
>>

> I think whatever we together or any individual is doing, our main focus
> should be on quality, stability and performance.

Oh absolutely! This is mandatory!

> We have so many areas where we can improve things and all of them are
> useful and will help the project.
>
> Code cleanup for example is an ongoing effort and yes it would be nice if
> would have for example support of the system/compiler STL already.
>
> All work in this direction is welcome and we will support everybody who is
> interested to work on these things. But it depends on the people who are
> interested to work on this. Volunteers should simply start doing it any
> should send patches ...

Well I will work on this. I just thought, given the size of the code base,
etc., if it were really possible to jettison whole segments, that would be
ideal and basically what I was thinking about. But, in my case, a little
knowledge is sometimes a dangerous thing! :)

I would NEVER EVER directly commit changes even though I have rights to do
so, without review by the code gurus. :)

> Nobody has said that we won't include code cleanup patches like removing
> of empty lines, newlines, unused code, remove or translate German comments
> etc. People should simply start doing it.

got it! When I posted this, I didn't know how much of this was already
ongoing or if certain areas had already been identified for probable fixes
etc.

Re: 3.4.1, 3.5?, 4.0 ...

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.