Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> on 2015/07/07 01:47:24 UTC

Kanban Board

Hi,

I would like to get some opinions on the introduction of a kanban board
view for bloodhound. If anyone is interested in looking into this with me,
that would be fantastic.

For a minimum useful system that people are likely to want to use, we'll
probably have to get as far as being able to drag tickets between columns
that are consistent with allowed workflow transitions. Initially we could
assume that a board should be tied to milestones or users so that we can
avoid any need to either manage board preferences or maintain lists of
boards associated with specific queries.

Anyway, I hope this is of interest and any input would be great.

Cheers,
    Gary

Re: Kanban Board

Posted by Gary <ga...@physics.org>.
Hi Dammina,

I seem to remember having a quick look through trac-hacks a bit ago but
I have been assuming that we will need to produce our own version. Not
that I mind going through the alternatives or even using others for
inspiration.

There are a few interesting features to the one you point out, in
particular it does have something to attempt to combine multiple states
into single columns. For complex workflows this is likely to be very
helpful but we would probably want to limit any validation to ensure
that combined states make any sense, hoping the user knows what they are
doing. In fact, If we were to allow such a simplified view, we could
look at expanding out available transitions so that there is no
reduction or loss of functionality in that view. That could be quite fun
but probably not a part of an initial implementation.

Also, I don't think that we should be looking at this as being a wiki
macro - rather it should be a first class piece of functionality as they
are generally easier to discover and use.

This may be thinking ahead too far again but something else sprang to
mind with all this. In the past I have been averse to ticket changes
being made one by one when you could look to setup all the changes that
you think are required all at once and then submit those changes. That
approach results in fewer email notifications of changes which some
might prefer. Perhaps in a kanban view this may not matter quite so much
and instead we would expect more or less instant changes. Generally I
would advocate offering a comment on the change before it is actually
applied but perhaps at some point even that should be relaxed for many
of the available transitions.

Cheers,
    Gary

Re: Kanban Board

Posted by Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:19 PM, Dammina Sahabandu <dm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Gary,
> It seems like trac already has this [1] and we can do some thing similar.
> What do you think?
>
> [1] https://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracKanbanBoardMacro
>
> Thanks,
> Dammina

Another possibility I think might be interesting is to just integrate with
Trello.
http://developers.trello.com/

Re: Kanban Board

Posted by Dammina Sahabandu <dm...@gmail.com>.