Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2009/02/28 09:31:31 UTC

RAT-39

sounds like David's starting down the sames road
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-39). IMO it's been
demonstrated that using the committers repository for development
doesn't work in the long run. i think we should consider inviting him to
use a directory in RAT - at least that way, there's a complete project
history and we might get some cross feritilisation of ideas.

i had a good think and think i understand where he's going. i'm totally
unbothered about choice of language but there's really only space for
one approach to meta-data. it would therefore be better to work
together.

opinions?

- robert

Re: RAT-39

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 20:38 +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> >
> > sounds like David's starting down the sames road
> > (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-39). IMO it's been
> > demonstrated that using the committers repository for development
> > doesn't work in the long run. i think we should consider inviting him to
> > use a directory in RAT - at least that way, there's a complete project
> > history and we might get some cross feritilisation of ideas.
>
> Those are the old tools that i used before RAT started.
> I don't want to develop them any further and would
> rather that RAT gain any missing abilities.

+1

> > i had a good think and think i understand where he's going. i'm totally
> > unbothered about choice of language but there's really only space for
> > one approach to meta-data. it would therefore be better to work
> > together.
> >
> > opinions?
>
> I am using my old tools against RAT, and will describe
> my process. Later we can pluck any useful ideas and
> techniques.

that'd be really great :-)

i have lots of stuff hanging in a freemind which i should really tidy up
and create JIRAs for

> Has RAT been run against itself recently?

the reports have been turned off for now (a release is needed)

once i have a candidate i'll run it in recursive mode

> Carry on with the release.

cool

- robert

Re: RAT-39

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-02-28, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

>> sounds like David's starting down the sames road
>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-39). IMO it's been
>> demonstrated that using the committers repository for development
>> doesn't work in the long run. i think we should consider inviting him to
>> use a directory in RAT - at least that way, there's a complete project
>> history and we might get some cross feritilisation of ideas.

> Those are the old tools that i used before RAT started.
> I don't want to develop them any further and would
> rather that RAT gain any missing abilities.

+1

Stefan

Re: RAT-39

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> sounds like David's starting down the sames road
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-39). IMO it's been
> demonstrated that using the committers repository for development
> doesn't work in the long run. i think we should consider inviting him to
> use a directory in RAT - at least that way, there's a complete project
> history and we might get some cross feritilisation of ideas.

Those are the old tools that i used before RAT started.
I don't want to develop them any further and would
rather that RAT gain any missing abilities.

> i had a good think and think i understand where he's going. i'm totally
> unbothered about choice of language but there's really only space for
> one approach to meta-data. it would therefore be better to work
> together.
>
> opinions?

I am using my old tools against RAT, and will describe
my process. Later we can pluck any useful ideas and
techniques.

Has RAT been run against itself recently?

Carry on with the release.

-David