Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/19 15:35:07 UTC

Re: spam in our wiki / wiki migration

Moving to dev.

Neither Confluence nor the Apache CMS is a good replacement for a
wiki.   Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a better option for
this yet (an unrestricted group documentation area).   Spam is part of
the price you have to pay to have such an area, and we've been pretty
fortunate to not have had that much of an issue with it.

There was a discussion on various documentation systems on Cayenne
that you might find helpful:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cayenne.apache.org/msg06028.html

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
The reality is that we don't use the wiki for drafts.   We use it to
allow anyone, including non-officially-recognized committers, to create
MyFaces specific pages.  I know Confluence as a documentation system
is going away.   It's unclear to me if Confluence as a wiki is going
away.
I have never been involved with Confluence as an administrator, but if
we can easily add anyone to the wiki space, that could be a workable
solution.   If we go that route, we should have something immediately
obvious which describes the process to get access.

My opinion:

Spam isn't a problem so far (going on several years here).   Major
spam attacks get cleaned up by infra and are very rare (I can recall
only three).   Minor ones happen rarely, and are easy to clean up
ourselves.   The benefit of an open wiki far outweighs the spam
cleanup costs.   I suspect that the work to maintain users for
Confluence will be greater than the work we spend cleaning up spam.
And as soon as we introduce a delay (getting authorized), then we will
lose contributions.   I know I've tried to edit certain wikis, but for
the minor change I wanted to make, it wasn't worth coming back at some
later time after I had gone through the process of being authorized.

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.