Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Hay, Markus" <ma...@secureinfo.com> on 2005/02/17 21:39:40 UTC

Register Tomcat as a service?

Hello.

I have an application that requires Tomcat (4.1.30 or later) and I'd
like to know how I can register Tomcat as a service if the user does not
do this during the install. In my installer, I can check the registry to
see if Tomcat is registered as a service and if it isn't, I'd like to be
able to run a command to register it... as the Tomcat installer would.
Is this possible or do I need to create all the registry entries
manually?

Thanks...

- Markus

Re: Register Tomcat as a service?

Posted by Wolfgang Hackl <wo...@inode.at>.
Hay, Markus wrote:

>I have an application that requires Tomcat (4.1.30 or later) and I'd
>like to know how I can register Tomcat as a service if the user does not
>do this during the install. In my installer, I can check the registry to

Hi Markus,
this can be achieved with the file service.bat which comes shipped with
tomcat.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang

Re: Register Tomcat as a service?

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:39:40 -0600, Hay, Markus
<ma...@secureinfo.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have an application that requires Tomcat (4.1.30 or later) and I'd
> like to know how I can register Tomcat as a service if the user does not
> do this during the install. In my installer, I can check the registry to
> see if Tomcat is registered as a service and if it isn't, I'd like to be
> able to run a command to register it... as the Tomcat installer would.
> Is this possible or do I need to create all the registry entries
> manually?

Have a look at service.bat in the bin directory within the .zip
distribution as I don't think you get that with the .exe. However you
can't rely on that file being there for the same reason so you would
have to replicate what it does in your installer.

Although aren't people going to be pissed if you start installing
services alongside your application?

Jason Bainbridge
KDE - Conquer Your Desktop - http://kde.org
KDE Web Team - webmaster@kde