Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Peter Hull <pe...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/27 09:56:59 UTC

Profiler - thread dump exception (possibly)

I've been getting exceptions using the Thread Dump button in the
Telemetry section of the Profiler. But I have also been making changes
due to the other profiling bug and I am not 100% sure I haven't caused
this myself. (I did download a fresh copy but still...)

Please could someone have a look and confirm or otherwise? If
confirmed I will add to JIRA.

I am using Windows 10 64-bit, NetBeans 9 & 10vc, openjdk 11 (with NB9
running on openjdk 1.8)

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create new project using the AnagramGame sample. Make sure it's
running on a Java platform 9 or later.
2. Right-click project and choose Profile
3. Choose profile method "Telemetry"
4. Start profiling (application will appear and telemetry will update as normal)
5. Press Thread Dump button (it's the one right next to Process: on
the top bar, labelled "Take thread dump from the profiled process")
6. See an exception in the output window like:
Exception in thread "*** Profiler Agent Communication Thread"
java.lang.RuntimeException:
    at org.netbeans.lib.profiler.server.system.ThreadDump.toCompositeData(ThreadDump.java:89)
    at org.netbeans.lib.profiler.server.system.ThreadDump.takeThreadDump(ThreadDump.java:71)

All comments welcome!

Re: Profiler - thread dump exception (possibly)

Posted by Peter Hull <pe...@gmail.com>.
Having looked further into this I think it's the same root cause as
NETBEANS-1359 and NETBEANS-882, already reported and analyzed by Sven
Reimers (thanks!). It should be fixed when 11.0.2 comes out in
January.