Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bo Berglund <bo...@telia.com> on 2008/06/14 19:02:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: How to configure Apache 2 to compress xml files on serving?

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:59:38 +0200, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>
wrote:

>Add the following directive to the above section :
>  AddEncoding x-gzip .gz
>
>and try again

>> Probably now FireFox does not realize that the data are gzipped
>> anymore and tries to parse the binary compressed stream, which
>> obviously fails...
>
>Yes.  Because the server tells Firefox that the document is "text/xml"
>and Firefox believes it.  That is the right thing to do for Firefox,
>according to the corresponding Internet RFC's.
>(Unfortunately, that's not what IE does, but that is a whole separate
>story, in which I hope we don't have to get).
>
>> Have to re-enable this directive...
>
>No.  Leave this one commented out :
> > AddType application/x-gzip .gz .tgz
>
>But add what I indicated above to your Directory section :
>  AddEncoding x-gzip .gz
>
>Note : I am also "fishing" to find the right settings.
>But you have to do this systematically, without getting lost about what
>you add/remove, otherwise we will not know anymore.
>The important part is what the server sends as headers with the HTTP
>response.
>We must get to a situation where it sends :
>
>So that Firefox knows that is is XML, but that it is gzipped.

I think we/you got it now! :-)

I did this in the httpd.conf:

Commented out this in the genaral sections
# AddType application/x-gzip .gz .tgz

Made the directory look like this:

<Directory "C:/Engineering/Projects/XMLTV/XMLTVTestsite">
    Options Indexes MultiViews Includes
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    AddEncoding x-gzip .gz
    AddType application/xml .xml.gz
    AddType text/xml .xml
</Directory>

And now the headers become this when I access a xml.gz link:

HTTP/1.x 200 OK
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:55:40 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) PHP/4.4.7
Last-Modified: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:18:16 GMT
Etag: "5ac36-159b-89b5a184"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

And FireFox displaye the *contents* of the gz file rather than offer
to save it!
BINGO!

A *really* great THANK YOU! for helpong me out!

Bo Berglund

Re: [users@httpd] Re: How to configure Apache 2 to compress xml files on serving?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Bo Berglund wrote:

> And now the headers become this when I access a xml.gz link:
>
> HTTP/1.x 200 OK
> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 16:55:40 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.0.54 (Win32) PHP/4.4.7
> Last-Modified: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:18:16 GMT
> Etag: "5ac36-159b-89b5a184"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
>
> And FireFox displaye the *contents* of the gz file rather than offer
> to save it!
> BINGO!
>
> A *really* great THANK YOU! for helpong me out!

You're welcome.
My own satisfaction is that now you understand *why* it's happening.
So if something later doesn't work anymore, you can fix it.
For the full story, read :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mod/mod_mime.html