Posted to cvs@incubator.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2019/01/08 19:36:13 UTC

[Incubator Wiki] Update of "January2019" by RyanBlue

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Incubator Wiki" for change notification.

The "January2019" page has been changed by RyanBlue:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/January2019?action=diff&rev1=60&rev2=61

  BatchEE
  BRPC
  Gobblin
+ Iceberg
  IoTDB
  Livy
  Marvin-AI
@@ -492, +493 @@

    in in the previous year. For a project nearing graduation I'd expect to
    see a lot more people voted in. I also don't see what is discussed in the
    video conferences being brought back to the list.
+
+ --------------------
+ Iceberg
+
+ Iceberg is a table format for large, slow-moving tabular data.
+
+ Iceberg has been incubating since 2018-11-16.
+
+ Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
+
+   1. Finish the name clearance and trademark agreement.
+   2. Make the first Apache release. (https://github.com/apache/incubator-iceberg/milestone/1)
+   3. Grow the Iceberg community
+
+ Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
+ aware of?
+
+   * Gitbox traffic is now going to issues@. The community was losing dev@ subscribers
+     because of the high volume of traffic from Gitbox. However, now all updates are sent
+     to issues@. It would be nice to have emails from creation go to dev@, while updates
+     and resolutions would go the issues@.
+   * The trademark agreement proposed by Netflix was not acceptable to the ASF. It
+     would be helpful if the ASF published the terms that the ASF requires to avoid trial
+     and error. Netflix is drafting a new agreement.
+
+ How has the community developed since the last report?
+
+   * Moved gitbox notifications to avoid loss of dev@ subscribers (self-reported leaving dev@).
+   * New contributor activity: 3 new issues opened, 4 PRs submitted
+   * 5 PRs from non-committers merged
+   * 2 contributors started reviewing PRs
+   * New design doc proposed by a community contributor
+   * Moved issues from Netflix repository to Apache repository
+
+ How has the project developed since the last report?
+
+   * Planned blockers for first release, 0.1.0, in milestone 1
+   * Partial python implementation submitted
+   * Manifest listing file added to the spec and implementation committed (blocker for initial release). Resulted in a significant improvement in query planning time for large tables.
+   * Abstracted file IO API to support community use cases
+   * Reviewing community proposal for external plugins to support file-level encryption
+   * Added doc strings to schemas
+
+ How would you assess the podling's maturity?
+ Please feel free to add your own commentary.
+
+   [X] Initial setup (name clearance pending)
+   [X] Working towards first release
+   [ ] Community building
+   [ ] Nearing graduation
+   [ ] Other:
+
+ Date of last release:
+
+   None yet
+
+ When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
+
+   None yet
+
+ Have your mentors been helpful and responsive or are things falling
+ through the cracks? In the latter case, please list any open issues
+ that need to be addressed.
+
+   Last month was December, so traffic has been low and both PPMC members and
+   mentors were slow to respond. This is not abnormal, but the PPMC missed the
+   deadline to file this report. We will ensure this doesn't recur.
+
+ Signed-off-by:
+
+   [X](iceberg) Ryan Blue
+      Comments: I wrote the first pass of the report, but after the deadline.
+   [ ](iceberg) Julien Le Dem
+      Comments:
+   [X](iceberg) Owen O'Malley
+      Comments: Approval from +1 on dev list.
+   [ ](iceberg) James Taylor
+      Comments:
+   [ ](iceberg) Carl Steinbach
+      Comments: