Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Dan Nicolici <da...@nexource.ro> on 2007/05/02 09:19:26 UTC

Webapp resource loader problem

Hi, all!

I'm using VelocityViewServlet in my webapp and I came across a weird
problem. Every time I open a new browser window and call my webapp URL,
the variables from my .vm are shown instead of the desired content (like
$varname). This only happens the on first access on a new browser
window. After I hit refresh in the browser everything is ok (I get the
desired content). Then, if I open a new instance of the browser, the
same thing happens all over again (the webserver is not shutdown between
the two actions).

I am using Tomcat 5.5. The servlet is declared in the web.xml like this:

    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>MyServlet</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
           package.UsersServlet
        </servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>org.apache.velocity.properties</param-name>
            <param-value>/WEB-INF/velocity.properties</param-value>
        </init-param>
    </servlet>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>MyServlet</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/index.html</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

velocity.properties looks like this:

resource.loader = webapp
webapp.resource.loader.class =
org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.WebappLoader
webapp.resource.loader.path = /templates
# Set cache to true for production
webapp.resource.loader.cache = false
webapp.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval = 60
velocimacro.library = myMacro.vm

Can you please help me in getting the right content from the first page
access? What am I doing wrong (cause I must be doing something wrong)?

Re: Webapp resource loader problem

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 5/3/07, Dan Nicolici <da...@nexource.ro> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your help, Nathan! Unfortunately I do not have the time
> to revert back and fire the whole process all over again. For now I'm
> glad it works as it is.

oh well.  i suppose we'll have to let what was wrong with your use of
the VelocityViewServlet remain a mystery... :)

> One more thing though... I tried the FileResourceLoader with the
> VelocityViewServlet and it behaved exactly like I described the webapp
> loader did.
> I guess the tools version is consistent :) (makin' fun of my misery of
> course...).

that's a useful piece of info.  means that the problem is unlikely to
be in the resource loaders themselves.

Posted by Dan Nicolici <da...@nexource.ro>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Nicolici <da...@nexource.ro>.
Hi, Nathan!

Nathan Bubna wrote:
> On 5/2/07, Dan Nicolici <da...@nexource.ro> wrote:
>> Hi, all!
>>
>> I'm using VelocityViewServlet in my webapp and I came across a weird
>> problem. Every time I open a new browser window and call my webapp URL,
>> the variables from my .vm are shown instead of the desired content (like
>> $varname). This only happens the on first access on a new browser
>> window. After I hit refresh in the browser everything is ok (I get the
>> desired content). Then, if I open a new instance of the browser, the
>> same thing happens all over again (the webserver is not shutdown between
>> the two actions).
>
> That's odd.  What do your servlet logs say on the first hit? (and
> perhaps on the second also)?
On the first hit it says it cannot find a velocity file needed
(someFile.vm) which of course is written by me. On the hits that follow,
this doesn't happen.

>> I am using Tomcat 5.5. The servlet is declared in the web.xml like this:
>>
>>     <servlet>
>>         <servlet-name>MyServlet</servlet-name>
>>         <servlet-class>
>>            package.UsersServlet
>>         </servlet-class>
>
> i presume this is a subclass of VelocityViewServlet?
Correct! ...my mistake for leaving it out

>>         <init-param>
>>             <param-name>org.apache.velocity.properties</param-name>
>>             <param-value>/WEB-INF/velocity.properties</param-value>
>>         </init-param>
>>     </servlet>
>>
>>     <servlet-mapping>
>>         <servlet-name>MyServlet</servlet-name>
>>         <url-pattern>/index.html</url-pattern>
>>     </servlet-mapping>
>>
>> velocity.properties looks like this:
>>
>> resource.loader = webapp
>> webapp.resource.loader.class =
>> org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.WebappLoader
>> webapp.resource.loader.path = /templates
>> # Set cache to true for production
>> webapp.resource.loader.cache = false
>> webapp.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval = 60
>> velocimacro.library = myMacro.vm
>>
>> Can you please help me in getting the right content from the first page
>> access? What am I doing wrong (cause I must be doing something wrong)?
>
> it's hard to tell with the information given.  you can always try
> comparing your application to the "simple" example app that comes with
> VelocityTools and see where things are different.  i can tell you that
> this is not llikely to be a problem with the resource loader.   it
> seems like either your context is not populated on first request, or
> else the template is being processed (if at all) by something besides
> your VelocityViewServlet subclass.
>
> also, what version of VelocityTools are you using? (probably not
> relevant, but i'm curious.)
Velocity tools 1.3

Re: Webapp resource loader problem

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.