Posted to user@hive.apache.org by praveenesh kumar <pr...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/14 07:57:37 UTC

Starting hive thrift server as daemon process ?

Hi Hive users,

I was just wondering why hive thrift server is not running as a daemon
process by default. Also I am not seeing any option to start it as a daemon
process if I want to.
I am remotely login in to the hadoop cluster and every time my session is
either disconnecting or closing - thrift server is going down also.
I can however start it as background process by "nohup" or using "&" in
linux - but just thinking  - "Is there a reason why this feature is not
present in hive ?"
What would happen if I have hive thrift server will run as daemon process ?

Regards,
Praveenesh

Re: Starting hive thrift server as daemon process ?

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
There is no particular reason this feature is not in hive. We just
left the deamonize part for others to do how they felt appropriate.

Posted by praveenesh kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
Guys,
Thanks for the replies.
However -- I am using tar balls (not binary cloudera distribution) so I am
not sure whether the script mentioned will run. Anyways, there are ways to
make thrift server run as daemon/background process -- that I also agree.

But Coming to my original question --
Why this feature is not present in Hive by default ?
I have used HBase, Cassandra -- both of them have these options of running
thrift servers as a daemon process.
I am interested to know what bad could happen if hive thrift server will
run as daemon process, so that I can understand the risks involved in
running it as daemon process and can proper decision on how shall I run it
in my production environment?

If I am correct, there should be some risk involved if I have thrift server
running as background process, thats why its not there in hive by default.
If I understand it correctly, running thrift server as daemon process, will
allow multiple user to share common metastore_db, which could risk in data
security as different users can see each other tables/data -- they can mess
around with each other's table/data -- Am I correct here ? or Are there
more risks involved here ?

Regards,
Praveenesh

Posted by Philip Tromans <ph...@gmail.com>.