Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by "fightfate@163.com" <fi...@163.com> on 2015/11/09 07:02:47 UTC

OLAP query using spark dataframe with cassandra

Hi, community

We are specially interested about this featural integration according to some slides from [1]. The SMACK(Spark+Mesos+Akka+Cassandra+Kafka)

seems good implementation for lambda architecure in the open-source world, especially non-hadoop based cluster environment. As we can see,

the advantages obviously consist of :

1 the feasibility and scalability of spark datafram api, which can also make a perfect complement for Apache Cassandra native cql feature.

2 both streaming and batch process availability using the ALL-STACK thing, cool.

3 we can both achieve compacity and usability for spark with cassandra, including seemlessly integrating with job scheduling and resource management.

Only one concern goes to the OLAP query performance issue, which mainly caused by frequent aggregation work between daily increased large tables, for

both spark sql and cassandra. I can see that the [1] use case facilitates FiloDB to achieve columnar storage and query performance, but we had nothing more

knowledge.

Question is : Any guy had such use case for now, especially using in your production environment ? Would be interested in your architeture for designing this

OLAP engine using spark +  cassandra. What do you think the comparison between the scenario with traditional OLAP cube design? Like Apache Kylin or

pentaho mondrian ?

Best Regards,

Sun.

[1]  http://www.slideshare.net/planetcassandra/cassandra-summit-2014-interactive-olap-queries-using-apache-cassandra-and-spark

fightfate@163.com

Re: OLAP query using spark dataframe with cassandra

Posted by KylinPOC <sa...@gmail.com>.
That's great.
Good to know the roadmap of Kylin.

Re: OLAP query using spark dataframe with cassandra

Posted by David Morales <dm...@stratio.com>.
Hi there,

Please consider our real-time aggregation engine, sparkta, fully open
source (Apache2 License).

Here you have some slides about the project:

   - http://www.slideshare.net/Stratio/strata-sparkta

And the source code:

   - https://github.com/Stratio/sparkta

Sparkta is a real-time aggregation engine based on spark streaming. You can
define your aggregation policy in a declarative way and choose the output
of your rollups, too. In addition, you can store the raw data and transform
data on-the-fly, among other features.

When working with Cassandra, it could be useful to use the lucene
integration that we have also released at Stratio:

   - http://www.slideshare.net/Stratio/cassandra-meetup-20150217
   - https://github.com/Stratio/cassandra-lucene-index

Ready for use with sparkSQL or in your CQL queries.

We are now working in a SQL layer to work with the cubes in a flexible way,
but this is not available at this moment.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any doubt.

Regards.

--

David Morales de Frías  ::  +34 607 010 411 :: @dmoralesdf
<https://twitter.com/dmoralesdf>

<http://www.stratio.com/>
Vía de las dos Castillas, 33, Ática 4, 3ª Planta
28224 Pozuelo de Alarcón, Madrid
Tel: +34 91 828 6473 // www.stratio.com // *@stratiobd
<https://twitter.com/StratioBD>*

Re: OLAP query using spark dataframe with cassandra

Posted by danielcsant <dc...@stratio.com>.
You can also evaluate Stratio Sparkta. It is a real time aggregation tool
based on Spark Streaming.
It is able to write in Cassandra and in other databases like MongoDB,
Elasticsearch,... It is prepared to deploy this aggregations in Mesos so
maybe it fits your necessities.

There is no a query layer that could abstract the analytics part in OLAP but
it is on the roadmap.

Disclaimer: I work in this product

Re: OLAP query using spark dataframe with cassandra

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: OLAP query using spark dataframe with cassandra

Posted by Andrés Ivaldi <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

We have been evaluating apache Kylin, how flexible is it? I mean, we need
to create the cube Structure Dynamically and populete it from different
sources, the process time is not too important, what is important is the
response time on queries?

Thanks.

--
Ing. Ivaldi Andres

Re: Re: OLAP query using spark dataframe with cassandra

Posted by Andrés Ivaldi <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Cassandra looks very interesting and It seems to fit right, but it looks
like It needs too much work to have the proper configuration that depends
of the data. And what We need to do it  a generic structure with less
configuration possible, because the end users dont have the know-how for do
that.

Please let me know if we did a bad interpretation about cassandra, so we
can take a look to it again.

Best Regards!!

--
Ing. Ivaldi Andres

Re: Re: OLAP query using spark dataframe with cassandra

From: Andrés Ivaldi
Date: 2015-11-10 07:03
To: tsh
CC: fightfate@163.com; user; dev

RE: First project in scala IDE : first problem

Posted by didier vila <vi...@hotmail.com>.
All, I identified the reason of my problem. Regards. D

From: viladidier@hotmail.com
To: user@spark.apache.org
Subject: First project in scala IDE : first problem
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 23:39:55 +0000

All,
This is my first run with scala and maven on spark using scala IDE on my single computer.
I have the following problem.
Thanks by advance
Didier
Using Spark's default log4j profile: org/apache/spark/log4j-defaults.properties15/11/09 23:30:52 INFO SparkContext: Running Spark version 1.4.015/11/09 23:30:53 WARN NativeCodeLoader: Unable to load native-hadoop library for your platform... using builtin-java classes where applicable15/11/09 23:30:53 INFO SecurityManager: Changing view acls to: dv18601015/11/09 23:30:53 INFO SecurityManager: Changing modify acls to: dv18601015/11/09 23:30:53 INFO SecurityManager: SecurityManager: authentication disabled; ui acls disabled; users with view permissions: Set(dv186010); users with modify permissions: Set(dv186010)15/11/09 23:30:54 INFO Slf4jLogger: Slf4jLogger started15/11/09 23:30:54 INFO Remoting: Starting remoting15/11/09 23:30:54 INFO Remoting: Remoting started; listening on addresses :[akka.tcp://sparkDriver@192.168.28.1:59209]15/11/09 23:30:54 INFO Utils: Successfully started service 'sparkDriver' on port 59209.15/11/09 23:30:54 INFO SparkEnv: Registering MapOutputTracker15/11/09 23:30:54 INFO SparkEnv: Registering BlockManagerMaster15/11/09 23:30:54 INFO DiskBlockManager: Created local directory at C:\Users\DV186010\AppData\Local\Temp\spark-123c0ccc-d677-4fae-b9fd-41b9b243905e\blockmgr-65d29cdd-d04f-48f4-85ba-3df96ee4aca715/11/09 23:30:54 INFO MemoryStore: MemoryStore started with capacity 1955.6 MB15/11/09 23:30:54 INFO HttpFileServer: HTTP File server directory is C:\Users\DV186010\AppData\Local\Temp\spark-123c0ccc-d677-4fae-b9fd-41b9b243905e\httpd-62fbcdb8-3fbd-4206-9235-6a9586a3a6a115/11/09 23:30:54 INFO HttpServer: Starting HTTP Server15/11/09 23:30:54 INFO Utils: Successfully started service 'HTTP file server' on port 59210.15/11/09 23:30:54 INFO SparkEnv: Registering OutputCommitCoordinator15/11/09 23:30:55 INFO Utils: Successfully started service 'SparkUI' on port 4040.15/11/09 23:30:55 INFO SparkUI: Started SparkUI at http://192.168.28.1:404015/11/09 23:30:55 INFO Executor: Starting executor ID driver on host localhost15/11/09 23:30:55 INFO Utils: Successfully started service 'org.apache.spark.network.netty.NettyBlockTransferService' on port 59229.15/11/09 23:30:55 INFO NettyBlockTransferService: Server created on 5922915/11/09 23:30:55 INFO BlockManagerMaster: Trying to register BlockManager15/11/09 23:30:55 INFO BlockManagerMasterEndpoint: Registering block manager localhost:59229 with 1955.6 MB RAM, BlockManagerId(driver, localhost, 59229)15/11/09 23:30:55 INFO BlockManagerMaster: Registered BlockManager15/11/09 23:30:56 INFO MemoryStore: ensureFreeSpace(110248) called with curMem=0, maxMem=205060571115/11/09 23:30:56 INFO MemoryStore: Block broadcast_0 stored as values in memory (estimated size 107.7 KB, free 1955.5 MB)15/11/09 23:30:56 INFO MemoryStore: ensureFreeSpace(10090) called with curMem=110248, maxMem=205060571115/11/09 23:30:56 INFO MemoryStore: Block broadcast_0_piece0 stored as bytes in memory (estimated size 9.9 KB, free 1955.5 MB)15/11/09 23:30:56 INFO BlockManagerInfo: Added broadcast_0_piece0 in memory on localhost:59229 (size: 9.9 KB, free: 1955.6 MB)15/11/09 23:30:56 INFO SparkContext: Created broadcast 0 from textFile at WordCount.scala:1515/11/09 23:30:57 ERROR Shell: Failed to locate the winutils binary in the hadoop binary pathjava.io.IOException: Could not locate executable null\bin\winutils.exe in the Hadoop binaries.	at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.getQualifiedBinPath(Shell.java:278)	at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.getWinUtilsPath(Shell.java:300)	at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.<clinit>(Shell.java:293)	at org.apache.hadoop.util.StringUtils.<clinit>(StringUtils.java:76)	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.FileInputFormat.setInputPaths(FileInputFormat.java:362)	at org.apache.spark.SparkContext$$anonfun$hadoopFile$1$$anonfun$32.apply(SparkContext.scala:978)	at org.apache.spark.SparkContext$$anonfun$hadoopFile$1$$anonfun$32.apply(SparkContext.scala:978)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.HadoopRDD$$anonfun$getJobConf$6.apply(HadoopRDD.scala:176)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.HadoopRDD$$anonfun$getJobConf$6.apply(HadoopRDD.scala:176)	at scala.Option.map(Option.scala:145)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.HadoopRDD.getJobConf(HadoopRDD.scala:176)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.HadoopRDD.getPartitions(HadoopRDD.scala:200)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$partitions$2.apply(RDD.scala:219)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$partitions$2.apply(RDD.scala:217)	at scala.Option.getOrElse(Option.scala:120)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.partitions(RDD.scala:217)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.MapPartitionsRDD.getPartitions(MapPartitionsRDD.scala:32)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$partitions$2.apply(RDD.scala:219)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$partitions$2.apply(RDD.scala:217)	at scala.Option.getOrElse(Option.scala:120)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.partitions(RDD.scala:217)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.MapPartitionsRDD.getPartitions(MapPartitionsRDD.scala:32)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$partitions$2.apply(RDD.scala:219)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$partitions$2.apply(RDD.scala:217)	at scala.Option.getOrElse(Option.scala:120)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.partitions(RDD.scala:217)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.MapPartitionsRDD.getPartitions(MapPartitionsRDD.scala:32)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$partitions$2.apply(RDD.scala:219)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$partitions$2.apply(RDD.scala:217)	at scala.Option.getOrElse(Option.scala:120)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.partitions(RDD.scala:217)	at org.apache.spark.Partitioner$.defaultPartitioner(Partitioner.scala:65)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$reduceByKey$3.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:290)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$reduceByKey$3.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:290)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:148)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:109)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.withScope(RDD.scala:286)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions.reduceByKey(PairRDDFunctions.scala:289)	at org.test.spark.WordCount$.main(WordCount.scala:21)	at org.test.spark.WordCount.main(WordCount.scala)15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO FileInputFormat: Total input paths to process : 1Exception in thread "main" org.apache.hadoop.mapred.FileAlreadyExistsException: Output directory file:/C:/Users/DV186010/scalaworkspace/spark/food.count.txt already exists	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.FileOutputFormat.checkOutputSpecs(FileOutputFormat.java:132)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopDataset$1.apply$mcV$sp(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1089)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopDataset$1.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1065)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopDataset$1.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1065)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:148)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:109)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.withScope(RDD.scala:286)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions.saveAsHadoopDataset(PairRDDFunctions.scala:1065)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$4.apply$mcV$sp(PairRDDFunctions.scala:989)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$4.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:965)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$4.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:965)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:148)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:109)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.withScope(RDD.scala:286)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions.saveAsHadoopFile(PairRDDFunctions.scala:965)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$1.apply$mcV$sp(PairRDDFunctions.scala:897)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$1.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:897)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions$$anonfun$saveAsHadoopFile$1.apply(PairRDDFunctions.scala:897)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:148)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:109)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.withScope(RDD.scala:286)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions.saveAsHadoopFile(PairRDDFunctions.scala:896)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$saveAsTextFile$1.apply$mcV$sp(RDD.scala:1400)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$saveAsTextFile$1.apply(RDD.scala:1379)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD$$anonfun$saveAsTextFile$1.apply(RDD.scala:1379)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:148)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDDOperationScope$.withScope(RDDOperationScope.scala:109)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.withScope(RDD.scala:286)	at org.apache.spark.rdd.RDD.saveAsTextFile(RDD.scala:1379)	at org.test.spark.WordCount$.main(WordCount.scala:22)	at org.test.spark.WordCount.main(WordCount.scala)15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO SparkContext: Invoking stop() from shutdown hook15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO SparkUI: Stopped Spark web UI at http://192.168.28.1:404015/11/09 23:30:57 INFO DAGScheduler: Stopping DAGScheduler15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO MapOutputTrackerMasterEndpoint: MapOutputTrackerMasterEndpoint stopped!15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO Utils: path = C:\Users\DV186010\AppData\Local\Temp\spark-123c0ccc-d677-4fae-b9fd-41b9b243905e\blockmgr-65d29cdd-d04f-48f4-85ba-3df96ee4aca7, already present as root for deletion.15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO MemoryStore: MemoryStore cleared15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO BlockManager: BlockManager stopped15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO BlockManagerMaster: BlockManagerMaster stopped15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO OutputCommitCoordinator$OutputCommitCoordinatorEndpoint: OutputCommitCoordinator stopped!15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO SparkContext: Successfully stopped SparkContext15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO Utils: Shutdown hook called15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO Utils: Deleting directory C:\Users\DV186010\AppData\Local\Temp\spark-123c0ccc-d677-4fae-b9fd-41b9b243905e15/11/09 23:30:57 INFO RemoteActorRefProvider$RemotingTerminator: Shutting down remote daemon.

First project in scala IDE : first problem

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Please consider using NoSQL engine such as hbase.

Cheers

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrés Ivaldi <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Ing. Ivaldi Andres

Re: OLAP query using spark dataframe with cassandra

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by tsh <ts...@timshenkao.su>.
Hi,