Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by sv...@bankone.com on 2003/11/11 03:51:35 UTC

SOCKS5 Support

Hi All,

I need to send an HTTP request across a SOCKS proxy and would like to use
the HTTPClient and need to use SOCKS 5.

The site's Features mentions that HTTPClient supports transparent
connections through SOCKS proxies (version 4 & 5) using native Java socket
support.

Does the HTTPClient support SOCKS5? Though Innovation's site
(http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/) supports SOCKS 5, I'd rather
use the Jakarta project.

If the HTTPClient does support SOCKS5, can you provide some sample code on
how the HTTPClient implements setting SOCKS proxy configurations (I'm using
JDK 1.3.1)?

Much appreciated...

Thanks,

Sven

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Re: SOCKS5 Support

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hi Sven,

HttpClient can make use of Java's native support for SOCKS proxies.
There is a little documentation on this at Sun's site at
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/guide/net/properties.html>.  The
docs for pre 1.4 JVMs are pretty sparse, but I'm pretty sure that it's
supported.  Please let us know if you discover anything useful.

Mike