Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Elver Loho <el...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/26 00:03:48 UTC

[users@httpd] Possible Apache bug: graceful keep-alive support on redirection

Background. We're writing a HTTP client. We don't yet have support for
keep-alive, so we don't set any keep-alive specific headers
(connection, keep-alive).

Now, when Apache serves us a page, it drops the connection after
serving it. Which is what one would expect if we don't set keep-alive.

However, when Apache serves us a 302 redirect, it does NOT drop the
connection, unless Connection: close is specified in the request
headers.

I'm not sure how the RFC specifies this, but I kinda expect Apache to
default to assuming Connection: close when no keep-alive is specified.

Or is the 302-specific behaviour some kinda pre-keep-alive legacy behaviour?

Elver

Re: [users@httpd] Possible Apache bug: graceful keep-alive support on redirection

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 3/25/06, Elver Loho <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Background. We're writing a HTTP client. We don't yet have support for
> keep-alive, so we don't set any keep-alive specific headers
> (connection, keep-alive).
>
> Now, when Apache serves us a page, it drops the connection after
> serving it. Which is what one would expect if we don't set keep-alive.
>
> However, when Apache serves us a 302 redirect, it does NOT drop the
> connection, unless Connection: close is specified in the request
> headers.
>
> I'm not sure how the RFC specifies this, but I kinda expect Apache to
> default to assuming Connection: close when no keep-alive is specified.
>
> Or is the 302-specific behaviour some kinda pre-keep-alive legacy behaviour?

HTTP/1.1 or 1.0.  In 1.1 persistent connections are the default.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Possible Apache bug: graceful keep-alive support on redirection

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Saturday 25 March 2006 23:03, Elver Loho wrote:

> I'm not sure how the RFC specifies this, but I kinda expect Apache to
> default to assuming Connection: close when no keep-alive is specified.

HTTP/1.0 defaults to closing the connection.  HTTP/1.1 defaults to
keeping it open.  But those are just defaults.

Apache will normally honour any explicit Connection: request
header.  But there's no guarantee, and an application running
under apache could do it's own thing.

--
Nick Kew