Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Tim Diggins <su...@red56.co.uk> on 2005/06/08 23:38:47 UTC

A way to (easily) access Velocity parser and get a list of variables/properties/methods

Hi -

I was wondering if there was an easy way of asking velocity to parse a
template and (rather than merge it with a context) extract from its
parse-tree a list of all the variables/properties/methods (as, say,
strings)...  I imagine I could do this with a regexp, but would rather
not, if velocity can do this already.

FYI, the context for this, is that I thought it might be helpful to have
some automatically produced information about what calls a particular
template is making.

Thanks

Tim

Re: A way to (easily) access Velocity parser and get a list of variables/properties/methods

Posted by Tim Diggins <su...@red56.co.uk>.
>>I was wondering if there was an easy way of asking velocity to parse a
>>template and (rather than merge it with a context) extract from its
>>parse-tree a list of all the variables/properties/methods (as, say,
>>strings)...  I imagine I could do this with a regexp, but would rather
>>not, if velocity can do this already.
>

> Take a look at the TemplateTool.
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/velocity/trunk/contrib/temporary/templatetool/

Thanks Shinobu (and Geir) -

I will use this as a starting point. If I come up with anything that
might be mildly useful to others, I'll feed back to the list.

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

> I was wondering if there was an easy way of asking velocity to parse a
> template and (rather than merge it with a context) extract from its
> parse-tree a list of all the variables/properties/methods (as, say,
> strings)...  I imagine I could do this with a regexp, but would rather
> not, if velocity can do this already.

Take a look at the TemplateTool.
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/velocity/trunk/contrib/temporary/templatetool/

Best regards,