Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2001/09/17 19:56:19 UTC

RE: mod_TEMPLATE.html

man-template.html is obsolete.  I removed it from httpd-2.0/docs/manual/
quite some time ago but I've generally not removed anything from 1.3.
(There's LOTS of obsolete stuff in there if you start looking around.)  I
have no objection to removing it.

Joshua.

Re: mod_TEMPLATE.html

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Well, I do -- until there is a replacement.  In fact,
> I will veto its removal until there is something as
> good or better for 3P module writers to use as a
> template.

In case that wasn't clear, I am all for something -- anything --
better than man-template.html.  However, deleting it without
having that 'something better' is not on.

BTW, I would actually prefer to have the template file name
be slightly different from the real docco files; I can
see a script process in the future that maintains the various
indices (index.html, index_bytype.html, and directives.html)
automatically by scanning the directories for mod_*.html files
and then scanning those.. calling it something *other* than
'mod_TEMPLATE.html' or possibly putting it in the parent directory
would avoid its accidental inclusion in such..
--
#ken	P-)}

RE: mod_TEMPLATE.html

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:

> > Well, I do -- until there is a replacement.  In fact,
> > I will veto its removal until there is something as
> > good or better for 3P module writers to use as a
> > template.
>
> Sorry, I was under the impression that mod_TEMPLATE was in httpd-docs-1.3,
> which I guess it is not at the moment.  I never bothered with
> man-template.html because it was clear to me that not even the Apache group
> was using it, let alone third-party module writers.
>
> Although I have no objection to having a template, it is obvious to me that
> people who care about docs consistency are just looking at the docs
> themselves for examples.  Therefore, I think your veto is misplaced, though
> easily rectified.

The veto is only (as I understood it) until there is something to
replace it with. That is, something is better than nothing. We have
something, and we can copy that over to the 1.3 tree if desired.

I gather from other comments that a different location and/or name would
be desirable for this. Seems, however, if we are dividing up the
documentation into subdirectories in a rational fashion, we may end up
needing a template per directory - one for mod/, one for howto, etc.
But, since we're not really sticking to any particular division of
content into subdirs, that may be overkill. If all we're talking about
is a template for module documentation, then just renaming the template
file to TEMPLATE.html or similar may be sufficient.

Hmm. I seem to be rambling again. I'll shut up now.

--
HTML Writers Guild training classes
http://www.hwg.org/services/classes/

RE: mod_TEMPLATE.html