Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Jeremy Huiskamp <jh...@uoguelph.ca> on 2006/02/09 17:45:56 UTC

Re: [tools] Javadoc! Javadoc! Javadoc! (the tool, not the debate...)

What would be the suggested route for coming up with a javadoc tool?
Is there something out there now that could be imported and shaped
up?  At the other extreme, I'm envisioning busting out jflex/cup and
doing a from-scratch implementation.  I'm thinking there would be a
lot of overlapping functionality with the front end of a compiler so
should the two tools be considered together?  Harmony doesn't have a
start on it's own compiler yet, correct?

Jeremy

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
indeed.  We're lazy.

geir

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [tools] Javadoc! Javadoc! Javadoc! (the tool, not the debate...)

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

ASF Licensing policy and the EPL (was: javadoc something something...)

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Hi all,

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 11:56:56PM -0500, Jeremy Huiskamp wrote:
> I was wondering about this myself.  I went and slogged through the
> epl and had trouble gathering exactly what the license restrictions
> were.  From what I could tell, most of it was just disclaimer.

Nah, besides all the disclaimer stuff and the granting of various rights
there's also some "viralness" in there. The EPL is "completely" viral for
source code, and for object form, relicensing is explicitly allowed but
requires a notice with the software that source code is available. However,
even then, the "viralness" is restricted completely to the EPL-ed software
and/or any derivative works.

For example, if you have a javadoc tool licensed under the EPL, a doclet
would not be a derivative work, hence you could ship the doclet with the
object form version of the EPL and the EPL would not apply to the doclet.

I think. IANAL. Not legal advice. Blah.

> What is the official apache stance on epl code?
>
> On 9-Feb-06, at 11:48 PM, Anthony Green wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 13:41 -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> >>We were planning to just use the eclipse compiler.  No reason to
> >>rewrite.
> >
> >Didn't you just write in this thread that you need "all the tooling"?
> >What makes the compiler special?

Nothing.

> If you can non-Apache FOSS licensed
> >tools, why not just use the excellent gjdoc for your javadoc tool?
> >
> >http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/cp-tools/

For licensing reasons, and for licensing reasons only.

Apache does not yet have an "official stance" on the EPL license nor on
the GPL+Exception license for GNU Classpath, but we're getting quite
close to having a detailed, official and clear-worded policy on most of
this. Unfortunately, the precise information is all still restricted to
private mailing lists but that will also change soon (fingers crossed).

IIRC, Apache projects will be allowed to redistribute EPL-licensed
software in binary form. The situation with GPL (exception or not) is
more involved, and goes further than just the virality and patent
clause problems we've extensively discussed before. (I think sublicensing
is one of the key bits).

Note that "redistribute" is different from "use". (I just answered the
question for redistribution since I'm guessing it is part of what you
meant here.) Even right now, before there is any kind of new policy, there
is nothing stopping us from *using* gjdoc, just as there is nothing
stopping us from using GCC.

cheers,

Leo

Re: [tools] Javadoc! Javadoc! Javadoc! (the tool, not the debate...)

Posted by Jeremy Huiskamp <jh...@uoguelph.ca>.
I was wondering about this myself.  I went and slogged through the
epl and had trouble gathering exactly what the license restrictions
were.  From what I could tell, most of it was just disclaimer.  What

Posted by Anthony Green <gr...@redhat.com>.

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Jeremy,

Whatever you feel like doing will be better than nothing.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist it)

George
IBM UK

--
IBM UK

Re: [tools] Javadoc! Javadoc! Javadoc! (the tool, not the debate...)

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Jeremy Huiskamp wrote:

[snip]

> What I could do is take the eclipse compiler and see what parts of it
> can be reused.  I don't know anything about it so I won't offer any
> speculation now.  Also, obviously eclipse has it's own javadoc
> functionality.  Is that something that can be borrowed?

That's what I was about to suggest.  Eclipse clearly groks javadoc.  Why
not see how that does it?

> Assuming the easy case, that the tools are all there for poaching with
> minimal work, what would the proper action be?  It could be stated that
> harmony will use the eclipse tools and you should go get them from
> eclipse if you want them (at least for the time being, until harmony
> gets to the point of being packaged up as a useable jdk).  I gather
> that's the current status of the compiler.  Or harmony could host the
> currently accepted binaries.  Or the source code could be taken into
> svn, in which case there's the question of keeping in sync with the
> original tool.  In all likelihood, it won't be that simple and harmony
> will have some of it's own modifications...
>
> Having asked so many questions, I'm now expecting to be told that
> whatever I feel like doing will be better than nothing :-p  I'm off to
> see what I can find out about the eclipse toolset.

Whatever you feel like doing is better than nothing.  Thanks for
volunteering :)

geir

Re: [tools] Javadoc! Javadoc! Javadoc! (the tool, not the debate...)

Posted by Jeremy Huiskamp <jh...@uoguelph.ca>.
Lovely, that's exactly the kind of pointers that'll help me :)

Another thing occurred to me this evening, and that is that xdoclet
must be extremely similar to javadoc.  I will have a poke around with
that too and see if it isn't doable.

Jeremy

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Huiskamp <jh...@uoguelph.ca>.