Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/30 14:30:34 UTC

Solr 8.x and contribs requiring Java 11

I've run into this in SOLR-14974. The dependency is on Java 11.
Everything works if you build and run under Java 11 but of course it
won't fly on Java 8 (won't even compile).

I wonder what are your thoughts on keeping Java 8 as the minimum for
Solr 8x. Is 8.x going to be on Java 8 forever? Or is minimum of Java
11 a possibility, only nobody got to it yet?

Dawid

Re: Solr 8.x and contribs requiring Java 11

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.
> The only option I see at the moment is to remove the clustering contrib
entirely from 8x because it can't be upgraded.

That makes sense to me.  Maybe it shouldn't be a contrib henceforth?  In
other words, maybe it should be a 3rd-party package?  Then our users could
get updates to this contrib independently of the Lucene/Solr release
cycle.  It's one of the benefits of breaking up the Solr monolith.

In a separate thread in this dev list, pertaining to the DIH, Gézapeti Cseh
suggested that Solr might introduce something similar to "Apache Commons",
but for Solr contribs.  I think that's worth more investigation.  It's
obviously highly relevant to this thread.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.
> If we can't support it, there's no need to keep it. If someone wants, they can assume ownership of a third party package.

I am the author/ owner of that third party package, Ishan... and I've
been working for two weeks to understand how Solr distributed
processing works so that I could write that clustering extension's
distributed version. And I did upgrade everything so that it works
just fine (on master).

Anyway, we initially helped with the clustering contrib but that was a
long time ago and it's been neglected. There are some things that
can't be done easily externally if you remove it but I don't know how
many people will actually miss it if removed. One way to find out
would be to just do it.

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ishan, I had misunderstood!

Adrien

Re: Solr 8.x and contribs requiring Java 11

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adrien,

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.