Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Chris Clark <ch...@allenai.org> on 2015/08/11 04:39:23 UTC

"Illegal instruction: 4" with PDFToImage

Hello,

I encountered a PDF that appears to not only fails to parse, but crashes
the entire JVM when we attempt to parse it with PDFBox. The PDF is
attached, running:

java -jar pdfbox-app-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar PDFToImage dangerous_page.pdf -dpi
200

Fails with "Illegal instruction: 4"

Trying to render the PDF programmatically crashes the JVM. This is on Max
OSX. Oddly rendering the PDF with a DPI of 72 works fine but it seems like
any other DPI causes the error. PDFBox 1.8.9 was also able to render the
PDF.

This is presenting a serious problem to us since there is no way for us to
recover from this error if it occurs. A fix or even just a work around
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Christopher Clark

Re: "Illegal instruction: 4" with PDFToImage

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
created

Re: "Illegal instruction: 4" with PDFToImage

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Also crash for me with JDK7 on W7 64 bit with 73, 100, 200 or 400 dpi
but not with 72 or 300 dpi. All on page 4.

Tilman

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
Good news, I’ve fixed this issue, we’d actually seen this bug before so I simply had to modify our existing workaround. AWT is to blame, see PDFBOX-2929 for details.

— John

Posted by Chris Clark <ch...@allenai.org>.
The java version:

Posted by Chris Clark <ch...@allenai.org>.