Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@familyellis.org> on 2016/06/07 20:34:48 UTC

Documentation

Hi all,

In light of the confusion around documentation (people asking on dev list
about driver docs or DataStax docs), I think we should accelerate the plans
to finish migrating our official documentation from the MoinMoin wiki to
our source tree.

Briefly, the technical problems with Moin aren't going away and having the
docs in tree means we can version them by release for free.

(We still want to use a wiki for contributor-oriented pages like
HowToContribute, but user-level docs like GettingStarted and Operations
will be moved into tree.  And even the contributor wiki needs to move to
Confluence <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-10942> because
MoinMoin sucks.)

I've attached an outline of what I think we need to migrate to the ticket
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-8700>.

Re: Documentation

Posted by Eric Evans <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 10:34 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jb...@familyellis.org> wrote:
> In light of the confusion around documentation (people asking on dev list
> about driver docs or DataStax docs), I think we should accelerate the plans
> to finish migrating our official documentation from the MoinMoin wiki to
> our source tree.
>
> Briefly, the technical problems with Moin aren't going away and having the
> docs in tree means we can version them by release for free.
>
> (We still want to use a wiki for contributor-oriented pages like
> HowToContribute, but user-level docs like GettingStarted and Operations
> will be moved into tree.  And even the contributor wiki needs to move to
> Confluence <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-10942> because
> MoinMoin sucks.)
>
> I've attached an outline of what I think we need to migrate to the ticket
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-8700>.

I think this is fantastic; I was completely unaware of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-8700, and had been
planning to suggest exactly this.

--
Eric Evans
john.eric.evans@gmail.com

Re: Documentation

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Thanks for pushing this forward, Jonathan.

I appreciate your help and for taking my comments and
moving forward as a community.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
WWW: http://irds.usc.edu/