Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Erik <si...@home.se> on 2006/09/21 06:03:53 UTC

500 Internal Server Error when committing property change on many png files

I changed the property of a gazillion png-files in a project:

Name: svn:mime-type
   - application/octet-stream
   + image/png

When I was committing, it first took several hours to upload the files again, even though I had not changed any. After that, the server failed with 500 Internal Server Error. This is a bug, right? I had to commit the change directory by directory instead, causing several 100 mails to the project's commit mailinglist. (The server is hosted by sourceforge.net.)

I was going to file a bug report but read that I should post here first.

Re: 500 Internal Server Error when committing property change on many png files

Posted by Erik <si...@home.se>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On 9/21/06, Erik <si...@home.se> wrote:
>> I changed the property of a gazillion png-files in a project:
>>
>> Name: svn:mime-type
>>    - application/octet-stream
>>    + image/png
>>
>> When I was committing, it first took several hours to upload the files
>> again, even though I had not changed any. After that, the server failed
>> with 500 Internal Server Error. This is a bug, right? I had to commit
>> the change directory by directory instead, causing several 100 mails to
>> the project's commit mailinglist. (The server is hosted by
>> sourceforge.net.)
>
> Well, anything that returns a 500 is probably a bug of some sort, but
> if you're talking about a sourceforge.net hosted project, there really
> isn't going to be much we can do, since you won't be able to give us
> the httpd server logs or other such information we'd use to debug the
> issue.  For this sort of thing the only people who are likely to be
> able to debug it are the sourceforge.net admins.
Thanks for your reply. What you might be able to do to debug it is to
create a repository with a gazillion png-files (for example by checking
out widelands from sourceforge.net). Then you could investigate how svn
behaves during massive property changes. Do something like this:
find -name *.png|xargs svn propset svn:mime-type whatever
svn ci -m "See if this works all right..."

The problem could be that the server runs out of memory while handling
all those files.

Re: 500 Internal Server Error when committing property change on many png files

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 9/21/06, Erik <si...@home.se> wrote:
> I changed the property of a gazillion png-files in a project:
>
> Name: svn:mime-type
>    - application/octet-stream
>    + image/png
>
> When I was committing, it first took several hours to upload the files
> again, even though I had not changed any. After that, the server failed
> with 500 Internal Server Error. This is a bug, right? I had to commit
> the change directory by directory instead, causing several 100 mails to
> the project's commit mailinglist. (The server is hosted by sourceforge.net.)

Well, anything that returns a 500 is probably a bug of some sort, but
if you're talking about a sourceforge.net hosted project, there really
isn't going to be much we can do, since you won't be able to give us
the httpd server logs or other such information we'd use to debug the
issue.  For this sort of thing the only people who are likely to be
able to debug it are the sourceforge.net admins.

-garrett