Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dirk Högemann <di...@web.de> on 2011/07/29 10:24:57 UTC

Auto-Commit and failures / schema violations

Hello,

we are running a large CMS with multiple customers and we are now going to use solr for our search and indexing tasks.
As we have a lot of users working simultaneously on the CMS we decided not to commit our changes programatically (we use StreamingUpdateSolrServer) on each add. Instead we are using the autocommit functions ins solr-config.xml.

To be "reliable" we write Timestamp files on each "add" of a document to the StreamingUpdateSolrServer. (In case of a crash we could restart indexing since that timetamp. )
Unfortunately we don't know how to be sure that the add was successfull, as (for example) schema violations seem to be detected on commit, which is therefore too late, as the timestamp is usually already overwritten then.

So: Are there any valid approaches to bes sure that an add of a document has been processed successfully?
Maybe: Is ist better to collect a list of documents to add and commit these, instead of using the auto-commit function?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Dirk Högemann
Schon gehört? WEB.DE hat einen genialen Phishing-Filter in die
Toolbar eingebaut! http://produkte.web.de/go/toolbar

Re: Auto-Commit and failures / schema violations

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: sure that the add was successfull, as (for example) schema violations
: seem to be detected on commit, which is therefore too late, as the

I have no idea what that stamement means -- if you are getting an error,
can you be specific as to what type of error you are getting? (ie: what is
returned to the client, and what do you see in the logs)

-Hoss