Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2009/07/22 14:53:07 UTC

Question about GlAccountGroupMember

I think there is an error in the entity definition for the
GlAccountGroupMember, its primary key is defined as:
glAccountId
glAccountGroupTypeId

instead of:
glAccountId
glAccountGroupId

I really think that the field should be removed from the pk but also
from the entity; it doesn't make sense to me to have it this entity
since it is already in the GlAccountGroup entity.

Any comments/objections?

Jacopo

Re: Question about GlAccountGroupMember

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jul 24, 2009, at 9:37 AM, David E Jones wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2009, at 11:43 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>

>> On Jul 22, 2009, at 11:37 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>>

>>> Why to do that might be more clear based on the initial "use case"
>>> for this as shown in the demo data for it (ie the tax form stuff).
>>
>> I had another look at the demo data, and I must confess it is not
>> 100% clear to me, but this is probably due to my lack of knowledge
>> of the US tax system.
>> By the way, if for the tax setup there is the need to constrain one
>> gl account to one group of type TAX_FIELD_US, wouldn't be better to
>> implement in the business logic instead of a constraint on the db?
>
> It doesn't really have anything to do with USA tax law, it is just
> organized around the general idea that the totals from certain sets
> of accounts are used to populate certain lines on tax forms. A
> common practice to facilitate tax preparation is to organize a chart
> of accounts such that no account is taken into account for multiple
> tax purposes so that you know how much should be allocated for what.
> Actually, half of the reason many companies maintain books is for
> government compliance.

Got it, thanks for the explanation. Wouldn't have been better to use a
name more specific to tax purposes instead of GlAccountGroup?
Something like GlAccountTaxForm or TaxForm? BTW, it is not so
important to me know since we will probably add two more generic
entities and not use the existing stuff.

Jacopo

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jul 24, 2009, at 9:34 AM, David E Jones wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> Ah I understand now, thank you.
>> Well, this means that this entity as is doesn't work for the use
>> case I want to implement ("defining groups of gl accounts, where a
>> gl account could be in more than one group, of the same group type").
>
> That sounds like a design based on a use case. For what you want to
> support, which actor is trying to do what?

We are implementing some reports based on the concept of "cost
centers"... I am sure you know what I mean since we discussed this
together some time ago :-)

> And yes, for that particular design it sounds like it explicitly
> differs from what the current GlAccountGroup stuff.

Understood. The best solution available without modifying the existing
entity seems to me to add two new entities:
GlAccountCategory
GlAccountCategoryMember

Jacopo

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
+1 for business logic, especially since we are internationalized.

Jacopo Cappellato sent the following on 7/23/2009 10:43 AM:

--
BJ Freeman
http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation

Re: Question about GlAccountGroupMember