Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Aaron Digulla <di...@hepe.com> on 2006/12/29 17:53:30 UTC

DSMP 1.0 - A new maven proxy

Hello,

I had a couple of problems with Maven's way to access the internet. For
example, if I wanted to redirect maven to the closest mirror, I would have
to define a whole lot of mirrors in my settings.xml. And it wouldn't always
work because different projects use different IDs.

Then, there are the broken artefacts on the main servers. Or how about PMD
3.8? You need it? Well, maybe in a few months (when the project has released
3.10), it might show up on the central repository servers.

Or have you ever tried to configure Maven to use a snapshot version of one
plugin but the stable versions for all others?

It's a pain.

My solution was to write a new proxy which is simple to configure can which
can do all kinds of magic with a single configuration in Maven. You can find
it on http://www.pdark.de/dsmp/ It's called "Dead Simple Maven Proxy" and
can do these things:

- Rewrite any URL Maven wants to download, so you can force all projects to
download from your closest mirror. You can even make sure that artefacts
from linked directories on the server will be downloaded just once.

- You can intervene and make Maven see patched versions of any file, no
matter what is on any repository server out there

- You can allow and deny access per URL to make sure that Maven cannot
download things it shouldn't (for example a buggy version of a plugin or
SNAPSHOTs you don't want).

- The firewall in your workplace just won't let you download some artifact.

See http://www.pdark.de/dsmp/usage.html for a whole lot of use cases and how
to solve them with DSMP.

Note that this is a *proxy* and not a repository server. It's meant to run
alongside Archiva or any other repository server and *not* to replace it.

Best Regards and a Happy New Year,

--
Aaron "Optimizer" Digulla
http://www.pdark.de/