Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jeff Macdonald <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/17 23:00:03 UTC

revisiting "error while loading shared libraries: libjs.so"

Hi All,

I'm experimenting with couchdb on a CentOS 5.4 system. I'm compiling
erlang, javascript/spidermonkey and couchdb from tar balls. Versions
are couchdb 0.10, spidermonkey 1.8 rc1 and erlang R13B02-1.

I'm doing this from an unprivileged account and running couchdb by
hand by running bin/couchdb. Running the tests, I get many errors
related to couchdbjs not finding libjs.so. I found another thread in
which testing from the command line was suggested. I did that and
found I needed to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Running from the command line
now works, but it seems that couchdb clears the environment when
running?

$ set | grep LD_
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/couchdb/realtime/lib
[couchdb@couchdb realtime]$ set | grep PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/couchdb/realtime/lib
PATH=/home/couchdb/realtime/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/couchdb/bin
[couchdb@couchdb realtime]$ ls $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
couchdb  erlang  libjs.so

$ lib/couchdb/bin/couchjs share/couchdb/server/main.js
["reset"]
true

This a a 64-bit system. I don't know if that makes any difference. LDD
shows a sane value:

$ ldd lib/couchdb/bin/couchjs
	libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x0000003465400000)
	libcurl.so.3 => /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.3 (0x0000003468000000)
	libjs.so => /home/couchdb/realtime/lib/libjs.so (0x00002b3cc6d82000)
(rest of output trimmed)

I've set selinux to permissive in case that was the issue. Nothing in
the system logs showing any selinux problems. I want to avoid putting
the javascript lib in a system directory if I can.

Any ideas?

TIA

--
Jeff Macdonald
Ayer, MA

Re: revisiting "error while loading shared libraries: libjs.so"

Posted by Robert Recchia <ro...@gmail.com>.
I have couchdb installed on Centos5.4.  Install all the dependencies
through YUM and you wont have any problems.  On centos systems you
really should install as much as possible through yum

--
Robert Recchia

Re: revisiting "error while loading shared libraries: libjs.so"

Posted by Jeff Macdonald <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Most odd as quite a few OS X users were using LD_LIBRARY_PATH for
> custom Spidermonkey installs as well. Can you check in the startup
> script if there's still a call to icu-config --invoke when executing
> erlang? If so, you might try removing that I guess. That's the only
> thing I can think of right now that might be interfering at all,
> though it was removed at some point, not sure if that was before or
> after the 0.10.x branching if if after if it was back ported.

I was just staring that that icu-config line. :)

removing the icu-config part fixed it. Many thanks!

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Jeff Macdonald <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm experimenting with couchdb on a CentOS 5.4 system. I'm compiling
> erlang, javascript/spidermonkey and couchdb from tar balls. Versions
> are couchdb 0.10, spidermonkey 1.8 rc1 and erlang R13B02-1.
>
> I'm doing this from an unprivileged account and running couchdb by
> hand by running bin/couchdb. Running the tests, I get many errors
> related to couchdbjs not finding libjs.so. I found another thread in
> which testing from the command line was suggested. I did that and
> found I needed to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Running from the command line
> now works, but it seems that couchdb clears the environment when
> running?
>
> $ set | grep LD_
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/couchdb/realtime/lib
> [couchdb@couchdb realtime]$ set | grep PATH
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/couchdb/realtime/lib
> PATH=/home/couchdb/realtime/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/couchdb/bin
> [couchdb@couchdb realtime]$ ls $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> couchdb  erlang  libjs.so
>
> $ lib/couchdb/bin/couchjs share/couchdb/server/main.js
> ["reset"]
> true
>
> This a a 64-bit system. I don't know if that makes any difference. LDD
> shows a sane value:
>
> $ ldd lib/couchdb/bin/couchjs
>        libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x0000003465400000)
>        libcurl.so.3 => /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.3 (0x0000003468000000)
>        libjs.so => /home/couchdb/realtime/lib/libjs.so (0x00002b3cc6d82000)
> (rest of output trimmed)
>
> I've set selinux to permissive in case that was the issue. Nothing in
> the system logs showing any selinux problems. I want to avoid putting
> the javascript lib in a system directory if I can.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> TIA
>

> --
> Jeff Macdonald
> Ayer, MA

Jeff,

Most odd as quite a few OS X users were using LD_LIBRARY_PATH for
custom Spidermonkey installs as well. Can you check in the startup
script if there's still a call to icu-config --invoke when executing
erlang? If so, you might try removing that I guess. That's the only
thing I can think of right now that might be interfering at all,
though it was removed at some point, not sure if that was before or
after the 0.10.x branching if if after if it was back ported.

Paul Davis