Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Matthew Braithwaite <ma...@braithwaite.net> on 2000/11/02 07:17:16 UTC

Should `make check' work?

Several previous postings have indicated that people have been able to
run `make check' -- for example Branko's postings about builds on
various platforms, and Karl's Milestone 1 posting.  I have not had
such luck.

I wanted to incorporate `make check' into the automatic builds, but
since it gave me some problems (starting from a clean checkout and
build), I thought it'd be worthwhile to ask whether it's *supposed* to
work, and whether spamming dev or individual developers when the tests
fail is desirable at this time.

The two tests that failed were:

  gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/home/mab/subversion-stage/subversion/subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/tests'

  Running all sub-tests in ra-dav-test...usage: ./ra-dav-test REPOSITORY_URL TARGET_DIR

  at least one sub-test FAILED, check tests.log:

  gmake[2]: *** [check] Error 1

and

  gmake[2]: Entering directory `/usr/home/mab/subversion-stage/subversion/subversion/client/tests'
  sh ./svn-test.sh

  Checking out t1.
  A  t1/iota
  A  t1/A
  A  t1/A/mu
  A  t1/A/B
  A  t1/A/B/lambda
  A  t1/A/B/E
  A  t1/A/B/E/alpha
  A  t1/A/B/E/beta
  A  t1/A/B/F
  A  t1/A/C
  A  t1/A/D
  A  t1/A/D/gamma
  A  t1/A/D/G
  A  t1/A/D/G/pi
  A  t1/A/D/G/rho
  A  t1/A/D/G/tau
  A  t1/A/D/H
  A  t1/A/D/H/chi
  A  t1/A/D/H/psi
  A  t1/A/D/H/omega
  Modifying t1/A/D/G/pi.
  Modifying t1/A/mu.
  Adding t1/newfile1.
  This is added file newfile1.
  Adding t1/A/B/E/newfile2.
  This is added file newfile2.
  Deleting versioned file A/D/H/omega, with --force.

  apr_error: #2, src_err 0, canonical err 2 : No such file or directory
    svn_client_delete: error deleting t1/A/D/H/omega
  Committing changes in t1.

  apr_error: #2, src_err 0, canonical err 2 : No such file or directory
    contents_identical_p: apr_open failed on `./A/B/lambda'
  Updating t2 from changes in t1.

  svn_error: #21008   no element found at line 15
  gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/mab/subversion-stage/subversion/subversion/client/tests'

Re: Should `make check' work?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@galois.collab.net>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> > May I, then, fix it so that ra-dav-test isn't invoked (without arguments)
> > by `make check', so that I can get the all-important 0 return value from
> > a top-level make check?
>
> Oh geez... of course! (IMO) No need to ask me about it.

Seconded.  Don't be afraid to commit, Matt -- that's why we have
version control! :-)

Re: Should `make check' work?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Matthew Braithwaite wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 11:29:36PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> > The ra-dav-test program won't work without a target server (specified on the
> > cmd line). We aren't really set up to automate that one right now, so I'd
> > say don't worry about it.
>
> May I, then, fix it so that ra-dav-test isn't invoked (without arguments)
> by `make check', so that I can get the all-important 0 return value from
> a top-level make check?

Oh geez... of course! (IMO) No need to ask me about it.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Should `make check' work?

Posted by Matthew Braithwaite <ma...@braithwaite.net>.

Re: Should `make check' work?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Re: Should `make check' work?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@newton.collab.net>.
Branko =?GB2312?B?uDBpYmVq?= <br...@xbc.nu> writes:

> That's weird... A checkout about three hours ago magically passed "make
> check" on Solaris, not counting the libsvn_ra_dav tests. Some (APR?)
> fixes in the last 24 hours must've fixed the Solaris bug.

Indeed, we fixed it this morning.

Re: Should `make check' work?

Posted by Branko 0ibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Karl and I accidentally broke the milestone 1 test (which lives in
> client/tests);  that's what you're seeing up there.  We're gutting
> some major code bits right now;  this will be fixed soon.  :)

That's weird... A checkout about three hours ago magically passed "make
check" on Solaris, not counting the libsvn_ra_dav tests. Some (APR?)
fixes in the last 24 hours must've fixed the Solaris bug.

--
Brane

Re: Should `make check' work?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@newton.collab.net>.

Re: Should `make check' work?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@galois.collab.net>.
matt@braithwaite.net (Matthew Braithwaite) writes:
> Actually the build has been running continuously since Sunday.  It
> just hasn't had anything to complain about yet.  Sorry, I suppose I
> never announced this.

Matt, that's wonderful!  You rock.

(And not announcing it is perfectly in the Unix spirit.  After all,
there were no errors, so why should you say anything? :-) )

Re: Should `make check' work?

Posted by Matthew Braithwaite <ma...@braithwaite.net>.

Re: Should `make check' work?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@galois.collab.net>.
"make check" in the client directory is broken right now, I broke it
(knowingly, due to work in progress) a couple of days ago.

Yes, keeping "make check" working will be a goal just like "make sure
it builds", once the autobuilds are running.  If someone has to commit
with a broken "make check" in some subdir, the thing to do is tweak
the "check" rule to not run the broken code until it's ready.  But I
didn't do that this time, sorry.  I should have it working again today.

I don't know about the ra_dav tests.