Posted to doxia-users@maven.apache.org by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu> on 2006/04/18 22:00:07 UTC

Running Doxia from Subversion

Hi Everyone,

I'm on Linux, Java 1.4.2, Maven 2.0.4.

It looks like there are some neat improvments being added to the Maven Site
mojo [0].  I'm attempting to learn what elements can be placed into the site
descriptor, and to puzzle out the behavior I am seeing with the <menu ...
inherit="bottom"/> element.

To that end I've started to dig into the Site mojo and discovered most of
the information I need/want is a part of Doxia.  So I've started digging
into Doxia.  I've not quite got my head around figuring out the possible
elements that are allowed to go into a site descriptor.  I've been spending
time with DefaultDecorationModelInheritanceAssembler to figure out the menu
inheritance and the classes in org.apache.maven.doxia.site.decoration.

Anyway, when I'm rendering my site using the Site mojo (built from svn
successfully - [1]) things like breadcrumbs don't seem to be rendering like
I would expect, and things like menu inheritance seem funny.  So I attempted
to build Doxia from source, and I'm running into problems - I can 'mvn
install' ok, but I can't query for the version of the installed artifact
using 'mvn help:describe'.  Any help is appreciated!!!!

Thanks, Elliot

[0]: per http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Sites+and+Inheritence
[1]: http://www.nabble.com/Running-maven-site-plugin-from-svn-t1462915.html

Here are the steps I've taken and the errors I'm receiving:

1. Removed existing Doxia artifacts from local repository (rm -rf'ed
~/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/doxia*)

2. Checked out Doxia from Subversion - r395007 ('svn co
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/doxia/trunk')

3. Built Doxia: 'mvn install -DupdateReleaseInfo=true'
    - I notice that Maven attempts to get snapshot jars, even though I don't
have any defined in ~/.m2/settings.xml (I presume that the snapshot settings
are defined in the pom's of the Doxia artifacts)
    - All jars seem to be installed: selected output:
[INFO] Installing /home/esm/src/doxia/trunk/pom.xml to
/home/esm/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/doxia/doxia/1.0-alpha-8-SNAPSHOT/doxia-1.0-alpha-8-SNAPSHOT.pom
... snip ...
[INFO] Installing
/home/esm/src/doxia/trunk/doxia-modules/doxia-module-twiki/target/doxia-module-twiki-1.0-alpha-8-SNAPSHOT.jar
/home/esm/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/doxia/doxia-module-twiki/1.0-alpha-8-SNAPSHOT/doxia-module-twiki-1.0-alpha-8-SNAPSHOT.jar

4. BUT, I can't query Doxia using 'mvn help:describe':
[esm@clue doxia-decoration-model]$ mvn help:describe
-DartifactId=doxia-decoration-model -DgroupId=org.apache.maven.doxia
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'help'.
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Doxia Decoration Model
[INFO]    task-segment: [help:describe] (aggregator-style)
[INFO]
[INFO] [help:describe]
[INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.doxia:doxia-decoration-model: checking for
updates from central
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] null
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.addPlugin(DefaultPluginManager.java:292)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyVersionedPlugin(DefaultPluginManager.java:198)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyPlugin(DefaultPluginManager.java:163)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugins.help.DescribeMojo.lookupPluginDescriptor(DescribeMojo.java:307)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugins.help.DescribeMojo.execute(DescribeMojo.java:212)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:412)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:534)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:488)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:458)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:306)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:219)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:140)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)
        at
        at
        at
        at
[INFO]
Sent from the Doxia - Users forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Running Doxia from Subversion

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Make sure you have v2.0.1 of the maven-help-plugin